This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Leon Novello
A friend has had a fright with the brakes on his Interceptor locking on by themselves. has anyone had this experience? :o

It is currently at the dealer`s workshop.
By PeteF
Have the pads been replaced with sintered ones by any chance?
I fitted sintered pads and they were just a tad thicker which made them bind as soon as they got warm. I just sanded them down. There must be only just enough room in the caliper for the standard pads.
By Creaky45
Thanks Leon for starting this. I was just going to. Peter, No the pads have never been changed. The bike has done 12,000km and for some reason after I had a new set of tyres a month ago, (Original Pirellis Sport Demons) the bike had a vibration or buzzing feel. I took it back suspecting an ABS problem but they could not fault it. It has not got better or worse so I was prepared to put up with it. Last week as Leon said I was riding at 60kmph downhill when the bike slowed by itself. I pulled over and it came to a complete stop with the front brake going on and off in 2 second pulses. When I stopped completely the front wheel was locked. Ignition off and on and all was ok. Then I rode home slowly without the front brake and all was ok. There is a lot more to this story but the dealer has applied for a warranty replacement of the front calipers as they found corrosion but would not elaborate further. They said that the VIN number of my bike was NOT one required for the recall. When I get it fixed I will probably sell it as I don't think the ABS can be trusted.
By PeteF
Pulsing on and off sounds very much like the ABS module. I can't see how the caliper could do that.
By Bullet Whisperer
So, basically, thanks to the 'must have' technology imposed on modern machines, someone is probably going to come a cropper sooner or later as a result. Give me points ignition, carburettors and drum brakes any day, no new stuff for me, thanks.
By Creaky45
PeteF, Nor can I, but it wasn't a pulse but on and off for about 1 second each time, like an out of round brake drum, and then when it stopped it was hard to move the bike at all. I have spoken to 2 dealers here in Australia and they both think the recall does not apply here but the one I am dealing with is going to fix it under warranty apparently. The buzzing/vibrating feeling since the new tyres has me stuffed as it was exactly then that it started. They checked the tyres again for balance and found them ok. They rode the bike and could not see a problem, but you always know when something changes on your bike. I have since put a dial gauge on the disc and the ABS disc and they are perfectly true. I can't see why changing tyres could affect the ABS. I'll keep you posted.
By vince
Had a similar problem with my car , it kept stumbling, so electronic complicated the mechanics couldn't find the fault. Computer says no! Turned out to be a corroded earth terminal. Why invent an electric hammer when a basic one works! the trouble today is that if the computer doesn't give the answer their stumped. Vince
By Daiwiskers
I'm not sure how ABS works on bike's but car's have a speed sensor on each wheel these sensors are extremely sensitive to dust or the slightest knock
If modern bike's are the same they could have disturbed a sensor when fitting the tyres
ABS works by pulsing the brakes

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles