This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Wheaters
Most of the above can be achieved with a close ratio conversion without spending (probably) more than a 350 is worth

Possibly, but a CR gear set isn't much use when you want to do some green laning as well as tarmac work. If the upper three gear ratios are brought closer, you've created a gap elsewhere....or have to slip the clutch to get moving from rest.

I sold my 4 speed box a couple of weeks ago for the same amount that the 5 speed one cost me. Admittedly, I did have to spend another £50 to convert the 5 speed to right hand change to suit to layout of my bike.

My late brother had a little Honda 125 trail bike that had a ratio change lever on top of the gearbox, so it had high and low range gears - I think it had either 8 or 10 gears, a bit like a LandRover! Shame RE didn't do this.
By PeteF
I found thr CR just evened out the gaps and 1st was plenty low enough still.
You can always drop a tooth on the sprocket if you go agricultural at all.
I do agree the 5 speed is a better solution if funds allow.
By Wheaters
I ran a 46 tooth rear sprocket for a while. Anyway, my 4 speed is gone to a new owner who had issues with the one he already had. The 5 speed conversion has transformed the bike. It’s made it far more pleasant to ride. I retained the one down, four up selection it came with.
By Allanfox
Thanks for the feedback chaps, I like the 350 and put some great miles on it over the weekend, some good tips and will start tweaking, it is a 2008 reg Watsonian converted trails one, so has a pancake filter and upswept pipe (Briteuro), guess just the simple bolts on parts. Maybe a concentric would do some good.

Daiwiskers mentioned retarding the inlet cam timing, guess that would open the valve sooner? Is it just by moving the cog 'back' one tooth?
By Wheaters
It retards the valve opening.

I tried it for a while on my 350 and although it did seem to give more top end, it made the bike less happy to potter at low speeds. As I wanted to use the bike off road, I changed it back.
By Bullet Whisperer
The 350's take retarding the inlet cam better when they are fitted with a high compression piston, or they will feel a bit gutless at low rpm. The 500's have the 'cubes' to live with it on standard compression. Retarding the inlet timing opens and closes the inlet valve later.
By Allanfox
Ok, ta!

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles