This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
Latest Update on repairs, primary chain now at correct tension (5 to 6mm at centre of top run), chaincase all back together. I bottled out on the sprocket and removing the redundant starter motor gears and sprag clutch. Cylinder Head now removed. I bought the bike showing 7000 miles, verified by the MOT history, bike now showing 11000 miles. I assumed the head had never been off at that low mileage, but please have a look at the head gasket, its a composite type, covered in some sort of sealant. Did the factory supply the bike with a copper head gasket?
Attachments
20200620_134211.jpg
Head Gasket
20200620_134211.jpg (2.08 MiB) Viewed 996 times
By Adrian
That looks like the factory gasket to me, but here's our hosts' listing. The red stuff is supposed to be there, though our hosts' photo is of the other side.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... burn/10079

Copper gaskets were for the classic Bullets, somewhere (I can't quite remember how I came by it) I have also a head gasket for a 500 EFI Bullet that seems to be laminated from several layers of thin alloy sheet.

A.
Looking at our hosts exploded drawings of my engine, i see it should have steel washers under the cylinder head retaining nuts, the 2 inside were missing, also found some pencil writing on the top fin of the barrel, so it looks like the head has been off before.
looking at the Head, the inlet valve is sooty black, and the exhaust valve is totally white, i think i may be running very weak, main jet size is 117.5 ( i can post a pic if required). i have a 125 main jet will fit that, spark plug reading is more white than light brown. But it is a lean burn engine!
Lucas reg/rect ordered , also improved composite head gasket, ex gasket and numerous lamps (bulbs go in the ground).

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles