This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Sula
Morning all. My imported 500 EFI speedo has started wobbling at about 50 mph and then if I go faster (downhill with the wind behind) it settles incorrectly at about 45. What do you think is the issue and solution? Maybe sticky cable or is the Speedo on its way out (only 1200 miles on it). Thank you all in advance.
papasmurf wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:18 am
Cable about to break?
Or lubed too close to the top allowing oil up into the Speedo

But I think papasmurf has hit the nail on the head
By ChrisD
Sula. I had similar issues with two speedo's on my 1995 535. Both waved despite replacement cable, and despite trimming ~2mm of the end of the squared cable (advice from another inmate). I tested each speedo with a drill and found both read perfectly stable and correctly. Then I checked the speedo box and found it had a fault in not sending a constant spin to the cable and the worm drive was moving in and out of the box randomly.
So, after the lockdown and after fixing the 1951 Bullet in my shed, I'll try another drive.
Cheers, ChrisD
By Sula
OK so Ill test the speedo with a drill (thank you CgrisD) to eliminate that.
If I can ill have a look at the drive gearing and lube the cable with a squirt of PTFE, before replacing the cable and gearbox if that all fails to work.
Interestingly cable and gearbox needed to be replaced on month 1 from new for the same reason!
Thank you Papasmurf, Daiwiskers, Windmill john and ChrisD for your sage counsel.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles