This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By montytheangry
Has anyone had this issue? I have a brand new, 2019 Royal Enfield Classic 500 EFI with only 600 miles. The engine has just stopped running suddenly, without warning. Wait about ten minutes and the bike starts and drives fine. I have only changed the spark plug out to the better Iridium plug from Hitchcock's. The fuel tank is full, the engine oil level is correct and was just changed at the initial break in service interval. When the bike dies, all electrical services, that I can visually see, are operating. The dealer I bought the bike from says it is the fuel pump. But when the engine dies, I reset the cut off switch and I can hear the fuel pump running. Anyone have any ideas? I am thinking I just have some "ghost" glitch in the system and I may just have to go to the carb. conversion kit.
By Haggis
Side stand switch is a common problem, just disconnect it and see if your problems gone?
Other places to check are your relays in the electrics box.
As you say, unlikely to be the fuel pump as you can here it prime.
By Daiwiskers
As Haggis has said side stand switch is a likely candidate as is the kill switch, if it happens after hitting a bump in the road I would suspect a lose connection

But starting after 10 minutes sounds like the coil is playing up

Sorry can't be much help on this one Dai
By montytheangry
The coil? New bike, less than 600 miles. Removed the side stand switch before I rode it for the first time. Did lots of research before I bought this. It is supposed to be fun, ridden. Not much fun having it just stop. I will look into the coil, but I didn't know it had one, figured it has all the new fancy electronic stuff like a CDI ignition. More research I suppose. Thank you though.

Tony
By Andy C
You say that the only thing that you changed was the plug, was the bike running Ok before you changed the plug?

If so try putting the old plug back in, it is not unknown for new plugs to have a fault.

Your problem could be as simple as that.
By Wheaters
First I’d go back and look at the items you changed. Then go back to the dealer who sold you the bike, surely it’s under warranty?
Last edited by Wheaters on Fri May 22, 2020 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Daiwiskers
600 miles on a 2019 bike could be bad fuel the stuff we get today does absorb water (very wet winter) it also goes off quickly (a couple of months)

Andy has made a good point about the plug if it was fine before you changed it that could be it

If it's still under warranty get it back to the dealer

I am more at home with 60-80s bike's therefore a bit out of my depth with fuel injection and electronic ignition etc

Coil could be I'm pretty sure that the later bike's use a coil and your bike is showing classic coil issue (coil gets hot bike cuts out coil cools down bike run's

Hope you get it sorted Dai

Edit how about blocked fuel tank breather (no fuel injection pressurised fuel tank)
Last edited by Daiwiskers on Fri May 22, 2020 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
By windmill john
Never heard of a vehicle without a coil. So many newer vehicles use stick coils, the ones on each spark plug.

As the guys say, possible coil, could be a duff new one.

The worse thing here is it being intermittent!

I’d only change to iridium on plugs that are hard to get to. The sort of engines where you need to remove the world to get to.

John
By Daiwiskers
Kinked or trapped fuel pipe (disturbed at service)
By stinkwheel
It's not your problem, it's the dealers problem. If you mess about with it much more, you might invalidate the warranty.

If there was an electrical or FI glitch, surely you'd get a warning light?

It sounds like a blocked fuel tank breather to me. When it stops, is the pump constantly cycling? Try opening the tank cap when it happens and see if there is an inrush of air. Try running it with the tank cap open a crack (obviously, not when it's full and take care). See if that makes the problem go away.

But if it keeps happening, take it back, that's what warranties are for. If the dealer thinks it's the fuel pump, then he needs to fix it.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles