This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
Well during the lock down I have been going over the bike's

Decided yesterday to get out in the back lane to try and get the carb set up, before this I had had it running in the garage and noticed the head to barrel joint was weeping,

Those of you that followed the build on YouTube will know that it's running with no head gasket the compression being held with the spigot, it has been like this for over 2000 miles with just a very fine mist nothing to worry about,

Running the motor in the garage I had noticed a bit of oil around the head joint,

What did I find? More oil than I like around the top end oil showing in the exhaust port and a oily combustion chamber along with a heavy carbon build up.

So what to do? I will clean up the head and decoke after soaking everything in ATF
Replace the high flow oil pump on the feed side with a standard flow one (wonder when our host's are going to get the British made standard pumps in) leaving the high flow pump on the scavenge side

Hopefully that little lot at a hour or so a day will get me to the end of the lock down

Off now to order up some rocker box gaskets

Take care all Dai
Hello Dai,
If your objective is to reduce the oiling to the top end, leaving the high-capacity scavenge pump in place will not make any difference.
The scavenge/return pump sends the oil to the rockers, from where it returns through the timing side into the oil tank.

Or have I misunderstood the problem with your engine?
singleminded wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:12 am
Hello Dai,
If your objective is to reduce the oiling to the top end, leaving the high-capacity scavenge pump in place will not make any difference.
The scavenge/return pump sends the oil to the rockers, from where it returns through the timing side into the oil tank.

Or have I misunderstood the problem with your engine?
With the standard feed pump, the scavenge pump will have less oil to scavenge and therefore reduce the amount of oil going to the rockers.

Frank
The scavenge pump can only scavenge what's fed to the crank less in less out

Leaving the high flow scavenge pump will help if and when it wet sumps and after future rebuilds clearing the sump quickly and getting oil up to the top end

You have to remember that this motor is very non stock (Paul did a fantastic job) and I fitted the high flow pumps before it went to be upgraded, thinking back I probably should have just gone for the British made standard flow pumps in the first place not the high flow one's

It never hurts to pull a motor apart and it keeps me out of trouble and in the garage

Cheers all Dai
I’ve noticed that our host sells the pumps separately, rather than as a pair.

With my cheapskate trousers on, I’ve often wondered if buying a high capacity scavenge pump could be used to replace the standard one, then rather than buying a new high capacity feed pump, just use the old scavenge one as the feed. :?:
Hi wheaters

From my experience since I first fitted the high flow pumps I have suffered with oil leaks but I am still running a floating bush big end I think if you have fitted a roller big end the high flow pumps would be a good idea, but you would have to talk to someone that has tried both pumps with a roller big end

I am going to fit a Indian feed pump and see how it goes if all goes well I will order up the British made standard feed pump

Be careful if you fit a scavenge pump to the feed side it's a bit thicker and therefore the spring pressure will be higher against the end cap if it will cause any damage I don't know, but it has to be worth thinking about.

My bike when my Mrs bought it for my birthday had a cut down inner valve spring on the scavenge side, the quill had broken off and was in the crank
After discovering that and a dozen or so other bodges I got it running fine but I could never trust the bottom end so off it went to Paul (B. W.) who did a great job, so good infact one of the lads rode it and said "fuc#ing hell Dai I have never ridden a British 500 that was so smooth or so quick " he was amazed when I told him it was a 350, I'm still not sure if he believes me or not.

Everything is soaking in ATF now so no updates yet will wait for Mrs wiskers to come home from work then up to the garage to swap out the oil pump

Happy days Dai
Chris [Stockport] wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:02 pm
Shouldn't YOU do the job, rather than sending Mrs W up to the garage on her return from work?
She bought the bike she can fix it! :lol:

Been waiting for a amazon delivery still not turned up

Oil pump fitted

Head decoked valves checked cleaned but no grinding needed

Tomorrow decoke piston remove any soft carbon from top of barrel
That's the washers sorted drilled through them 8•5 mm is the size for that job mine was bent so i used a 8mm masonry bit

After speaking to Paul (Bullet Wisperer) the plan is to fit a solid copper anealed gasket with spray sealant

Off to do a bit of a clean up on the head
Yesterday I removed the Indian feed pump and refitted the high flow pump
Then remembered that I had noticed a bit of oil on the rear of the exhaust valve (you know where this is going)
So I removed the high flow pump and refitted the Indian standard pump again

My Ann is off work today and tomorrow so playing in the garage is out

Today's plan is give the dog a haircut

More news Friday Dai

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles