This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By windmill john
I know you might say suck it up and get your wallet out but....

The C5 offers these at £70

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... ssic%20EFI

Yet if I want racks for the 350 four speed, you need to spend £324!!

Am I missing a hidden rack somewhere? I can not justify the expensive ones and I’m not looking for suggestions away from our host, but has anyone modified other racks to fit 350 kickstart only export bullets.

John
By Lou E
I just get some flat bar and round stock and make my own. Does'nt tak long, fit to the bags you are using, can usually get a few longer bolts here and there. Done 1 57 Sportster, 1 74 Trident, 1 66 RE Interceptor, 12019 Orange Crush...
By stinkwheel
Bending thinwall tube was easier than I thought. You need to pack it (PACK it, hammer it down in there) with silver sand then simply clamp it to a bit of pipe with the same radius as you want the bend and just bend it. Put the clamp where you want the bend to start.

I was expecting all sorts of problems making mudguard stays and din't encounter them. This is 10mm tube with a 1mm wall. My welding is pish but this stuff really lends itself to brazing anyway.

https://youtu.be/95JAMQAzDE8
By PeteF
Stinkwheel.
What grade of steel was that pipe you were bending?
It certainly seemed to bend very well.
I suppose seamless tubing would be preferable?
By stinkwheel
It was 10mm diameter x 1.5mm wall ERW mild steel tube. It's cheap as chips.

Used it to make mudguard stays. I'd certainly make a parcel rack from it, might want something a tad bigger for a pannier rack.

There used to be a guy who went to the dragon rally every year with a jawa 350 with luggage racks made from yorkshire jointed copper pipe.
By windmill john
stinkwheel wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:22 pm
There used to be a guy who went to the dragon rally every year with a jawa 350 with luggage racks made from yorkshire jointed copper pipe.

I am a sometimes category B motorcyclist and sometimes a Category C motorcyclist. Just not a full time category C :mrgreen:

John

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles