This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By p
Due to failure of brackets and also stems of rear indicators I am re-thinking mountings and positioning of them - maybe front ones too; I have always thought them vulnerable in maybe sticking out too far particularly at the back, is there a legal requirement for spacing, and if so what is it please? (yr 2000 350)
By Chris [Stockport]
Information on the GOV.UK website will tell you all sorts. Just google what you want to know.

4.4.3. Compliance with requirements

You must inspect all direction indicators fitted.
Direction indicators must emit an amber light, except motorcycles first used before 1 September 1965 can have white front indicators and red rear indicators.

The precise position of direction indicators are not part of this inspection, but they must be on each side of the longitudinal axis of a solo machine. If a sidecar is attached, the indicators must be on opposite sides of the combination.
Mandatory direction indicators must have minimum separation distances between the illuminating surfaces of:
solo motorcycles - 240mm at the front and 180mm at the rear (9 ½ inches) (7 inches)
motorcycle combinations - 400mm at both front and rear (15 ¾ inches)
By p
Thanks Chris.... found that now! Wow, those are much closer together than on my bike so I can tuck them into a more protected position and remain okay for MOT.
By Chris [Stockport]
Just found this:

1. Overview
The spacing requirements for directional indicators shown in the MOT inspection manual for class 1 and 2 vehicles in Section 4.4.3 are wrong.
This is causing type approved motorcycles to fail the MOT test.
2. Revised test standard
The inspection manual currently says that mandatory direction indicators must have minimum separation distances of:
solo motorcycles over 50cc: 300mm at the front and 240mm at the rear
solo up to 50 cc: 240mm at the front and 180mm at the rear
motorcycle combinations: 400mm at both front and rear
The guidance should say that they must have minimum separation distances between the illuminating surfaces of:
solo motorcycles: 240mm at the front and 180mm at the rear
motorcycle combinations: 400mm at both front and rear
Separation distances don’t have to be measured. They should only be rejected if obviously incorrect.
The change takes immediate effect.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles