This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
The charging system on my 2003 Sixty-5 is currently standard but I'm thinking of upgrading by:
1. removing the standard 4-wire AC/DC alternator, Regulator and Rectifier pair and AC headlamp regulator.
2. I was planning to fit a Lucas RM21 (2-wire 120W) alternator and Boyer single phase Powerbox to run all loads as DC.
I notice that with the standard set up, the electric start cut out unit uses the AC pair of the 4-wire alternator as a control input (to detect when the engine has started). However the voltage across the AC pair wire is clamped by the AC regulator.
I wonder if anyone has experience of a similar set up as my question is : if the AC regulator is removed, is it ok to use the AC output directly from the alternator leads into the electric start cut out unit?
I would think that the voltage across the alternator windings would be limited by the Boyer Powerbox so it's probably ok -but always good to be certain!
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks, Mike

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles