This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Daiwiskers
Sorry doing this on the phone so can't do a link

YouTube
I, Me & Enfield
Complete Oil Change Process

Take care all Dai
Nice little video.

I’ll be honest, ooer!, I’ve never flushed when changing oil.
I used to be very fastidious, but the last few years, I just drain the oil and refill; obviously changing filter etc.

My view is, At least 95% new oil will be fine.

I would imagine a diesel flush followed by a petrol flush can’t help seals, but unsure.

A question, was the video reversed? I say this because it looked like the drain plugs and bottom filter bolts were left hand thread; are they? They’re not on my older four speed bullet.

John
By Daiwiskers
Honestly I don't know if it's reversed

When I buy a bike with unknown history I will flush the engine
But I use ATF and a new filter run it for 10 minutes or so just letting it tick over you will be surprised how much gunk the ATF flushes out

Each to their own but

Take care all Dai
By stinkwheel
I usually use diesel car oil which has a very high detergent content that should keep the particulate from sludging, it then gets caught by the filter. Flushing is more a thing for engines without an effective filter where you want the particulate to sludge in the bottom of the sump so you can flush it out.

When I split my 350 after its piston failure, there was very little sludge in there, after an estimated 90k miles. I've never flushed it. The gauze screens on the plugs are always clean as a whistle on my bullets.

I always cut the old filter open to check for swarf.

Any of the black stuff he's getting out there will be very fine carbon particulate, smaller than the filter screen.

Best use I've seen for a vuvuzela though.
By papasmurf
Frankly in my opinion using flushing oil in Enfields is road to disaster. There is so much oil left hiding in nooks and crannies on then when draining the oil, (it can be 700cc,) there would be enough flusing oil left in the engine to wreck it.
By Wheaters
I got caught out a couple of years ago after installing a used engine to my Liege trials/sports car. I was assured it was low mileage and it was certainly in good condition. Because I was supercharging it I decided to use fully synthetic oil and ran it for a relatively short mileage before changing the oil and filter a second time.

The detergent in the synth oil loosened debris which caused the piston in the pressure relief valve in the pump to jam shut. The resulting massive over pressure during a cold start distorted the base of the oil filter canister so that it pushed away from the block and caused all the oil to be pumped into the engine bay in a few seconds. The stains never came out of my new block paving drive!
By Dinsdale
Personally I would not use any sort of flush except cheap engine oil.The reason being that there are numerous oil galleries to trap the oil so any flush material would run the risk of contaminating the new oil and causing a bigger problem down the line.Also rock the bike sideways a few times slowly when performing an oil change to get the most old oil out
Somehow I don't think you're watching the video before commenting
I was saying about running the motor after draining the oil! then filling with diesel and running it, then flushing out the diesel with petrol!

Complete madness in my book Dai

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles