This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By JohnStones
Having bought a 2014 Continental 535 last autumn I decided to change engine oil.
Dropped the oil but main sump plug will not tighten, obvoiusly damaged/stripped thread which I believe is in sump casting.
I know you can buy sump repair kits but before I proceed has any one got any bright ideas. Thanks John.
By Daiwiskers
Hi and welcome to the forum

A get you home bodge is to wrap the drain plug thread with a few strands of copper wire and replace the plug carefully

But that's only a get you home bodge

I have had success with thread inserts the wurth timecert type would be the best for something as critical as a drain bolt

Whatever type of thread insert you decide to use is up to you

Use plenty of grease when cutting the thread clean tap and reapply grease often when happy with the thread you have cut clean everything down brake or carb cleaner is useful here
Apply threadlock to the outside of the insert (red or green) then carefully insert the insert when fully hone usually just below the surface of the casings break off the tang with long nose pliers (locking pliers make it easier) pull tang towards you

When done don't rush leave it alone for a few hours I tend to leave overnight

Next day replace drain plug tap yourself on the back when it holds oil

There may well be other ways to do this job but that's what I would do

Take care Dai
By Daiwiskers
stinkwheel wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:44 pm
Or drill and tap it oversize if there is enough meat on it. You can buy kits for doing this.
That would do it!
But I don't know how much meat there is
Never used a kit I may well be missing a trick here
By Daiwiskers
Too late to edit again

Stinkwheel
Just looked at the kits looks like a good idea
If your drain plug has a 17mm thread do you buy a 17mm kit?
By stinkwheel
I think you'd usually go one size up.

But looking on the parts book, it's an M8 thread on the UCE motors like the 535GT? You also get glow-plug repair kits which would probably do the trick
By Daiwiskers
I did notice a dodgy bung type thing that I would definitely not use
By Daiwiskers
Too late to edit again

Where are you John?
I have 8mm helicoil in both fine and standard thread if you're not too far and in no hurry the offer is there

Almost forgot South Wales near Caerphilly
By JohnStones
Hi I live on top of Lincolnshire wolds, 10 mins from Cadwell Park
Sump plug O/D is 13mm so would need to tap to 14mm - problem is I havn't found suitable repair kit yet
By Daiwiskers
If there's enough meat they have 15mm repair kits on amazon
I wouldn't do prime at the minute, car parts are all on late delivery non essential I guess

Stinkwheel mentioned that 8mm thread is standard I wonder if someone has been there before and done a bodge
No adhesive on the plug you removed?

Quick edit
8mm thread would have 13 head size

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles