This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By OldBoy67
I note you are in Kent.

Once this vuirus thing is done the guys to talk to about the truth/straightening your frame/forks are Maidstone Motorliner. (01622 790 705). They did a good job checking my GT frame after its accident.

PS: I see that they say that they will remain contactable by phone during the COVID crisis.
By Dave the Bass
Aaah, thanks for the picture picture Mr OldBoy, much appreciated. The thread 'might' be saveable on my example, I've kept well away from it so far.

Is there supposed to be an identical threaded boss/spigot (sorry, I don't know what to call the welded-on part I'm referring to) on the otherside of the frame too for the rider's right foot?

Ta for the FaceBook link, unfortunately I think its a private not a public group, I don't have a Facebook account.
By OldBoy67
Dave the Bass wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:35 pm
Aaah, thanks for the picture picture Mr OldBoy, much appreciated. The thread 'might' be saveable on my example, I've kept well away from it so far.

Is there supposed to be an identical threaded boss/spigot (sorry, I don't know what to call the welded-on part I'm referring to) on the otherside of the frame too for the rider's right foot?

Ta for the FaceBook link, unfortunately I think its a private not a public group, I don't have a Facebook account.
Yes there is. The footrest arrangement itself is obviously different from that on the brake side to allow for the rearsets.

As Stinkwheel says get a parts book from our hosts and/or use the exploded parts diagrams on this website.

Pity that you don't have a Facebook account as the Group page has useful materials you can download as well as quite a few GT owners who can provide far better advice than I ever could.
By Dave the Bass
stinkwheel wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:38 pm
You have seen the exploded parts diagrams for your bike, complete with photos of such parts as are in stock and available for sale on this website right?
https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/p ... inental-gt
Yes, I have thanks.

I refer to it a lot, but in the case of the riders's right side footrest/threaded boss question... I ask because the parts list and pictures are taken only from the nearside/ rider's left side. I can't see the other-side of the frame, hence my question. It's tricky for me as I haven't ever seen a GT250 Continental in the flesh let alone have one to refer to.

OldBoy67 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:02 pm

Yes there is. The footrest arrangement itself is obviously different from that on the brake side to allow for the rearsets.

As Stinkwheel says get a parts book from our hosts and/or use the exploded parts diagrams on this website.

Pity that you don't have a Facebook account as the Group page has useful materials you can download as well as quite a few GT owners who can provide far better advice than I ever could.
Yup, as above in my reply to Stinkwheel, I do have a printed copy I bought from H's only a few weeks ago and I do use the online facility too a lot, but... there's a few things and details you just can't make out in the parts books occasionally.

Hmmm, maybe I should get a FB account. I was hoping to avoid all that social media malarkey, I like forums best :)
By OldBoy67
OldBoy67 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:02 pm
Hmmm, maybe I should get a FB account. I was hoping to avoid all that social media malarkey, I like forums best :)
I understand your reservations about FB - I know that several others share them. My understanding is that the 250cc technical group was originally on the YAHOO mail type forum, but Yahoo closed their group system down last year. So somebody migrated all the material held on YAHOO initially onto the GROUPS.IO platform but this was little used and had some drawbacks notably around the amount of material (files and images) that could be held for free. So the group ended up on Facebook but as a private group which you have to apply to join - its intended mainly for technical questions but obviously social stuff is not excluded.

This forum provided by our hosts is excellent (and you will find Hitchcocks will be your friend when you need parts!) and I know that several of the 250 guys from the FB group are active on here, so you can always ask your questions here. But the FB group focuses on the 250's only which may be helpful if you intend restoring one of those particular models.

Maybe what I'm saying is that this forum and the FB page are not mutually exclusive routes for seeking answers to your 250 questions.

Best of luck with the project - we'll be interested to receive further progress reports!
By Dave the Bass
Ta for explaining how and why the 250cc FB group came about Mr Oldboy. I'd like to join the group but I really don't want any part of the whole FaceBook social media 'thing'.

I think I'll just post here and on the excellent Midland Bullet Riders forum for now. I've done a couple of very lengthy threads over there on my other 2 bikes.

Yeah, agreed about the hosts being handy when it comes to spares, I've been using them since 1998 when I bought a then 5 year Enfield India 500cc Bullet, I used it for a few years then it got really troublesome and my fettling time was very limited. Then eventually in 2017 I finally gave it the attention it needed to make it work properly again after being laid up for all those years and released it from being used a workbench ( I kid you not...!) down my old shed.

Ta dah!

So chuffed with getting that bike back on the road and going again and going better than ever I decided to have go at a proper 1960 Redditch 350 Bullet that came up for sale. I bought it all the way from Wales to Kent on a trailer and set about a complete rebuild on it in 2018/19 when I was only working part time, funds were tight but I had loads of free time. There's a massive long thread on it over on MBR called 'The resurrection of Roger' all about it. Its an awesome bike, I love it.

Before....

After!

So yeah, I've been using H's for quite a long time already, here's to the GT250, onwards team! :)
By OldBoy67
Dave

Fully understand. We will keep a lookout for you on here !!

Best of luck with the project.
By Dave the Bass
OldBoy67 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:57 pm
Dave

Fully understand. We will keep a lookout for you on here !!

Best of luck with the project.
Nice one, thanks for looking out for me Mr OldBoy :)

Here we go, an update.

A 'Partial success' I think.

Using...

...in....

I've managed to get through that pesky stud, not quite centrally though, hence the 'partial success' rating.

What skewed the drill slightly I believe was the end of another drill bit that I think was still stuck in there from when someone has tried to drill out that stud before from the 'outside' of the frame into the sheared stud. Caught me (and my lovely new 3mm TCT bit) by surprise resulting in...

Don't worry though, I've got some BluTack...

I've opened up the hole to 6mm, thats as big a TCT bit as I bought just in case it didn't work. I'm tempted to buy the LH and RH rider pegs to at least have them to hand and work out what me or a proper engineer is going to do to fit them.

The RH side of the frame hasn't got one of these threaded bosses (what are they called BTW, anyone know?), I don't know if it ever has. This is what the RH (Gear change side) looks like...

Thoughts?
By stinkwheel
Well, you are going to want the bits at some point anyway.

From experience, if you just buy a few things at a time, it doesn't look like you simply emptied 2 month wages into Mr Hitchcocks bank account. You can further add to the denial by not adding it all up at a later date. :oops:

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles