This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By PeteF
Daiwiskers wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:49 am
For jobs that you haven't done before

Have a look on YouTube there's a good chance that someone will have filmed that very job
Yes, I learn a LOT from Youtube BUT, there are an awful lot of people showing you exactly how NOT to do something :?
By Daiwiskers
Yes, I learn a LOT from Youtube BUT, there are an awful lot of people showing you exactly how NOT to do something :?
[/quote]

Very true but it will give you a better idea as to what's involved

Don't be afraid to ask it's better to ask how to do it
Than how do I fix what I have just mucked up
By Wheaters
I watch Michael Waller's videos; I like it when things don't go quite to plan because we all learn from that. The signal for something going badly wring is "Bu££er!" :x
By Daiwiskers
Your mobile phone or digital camera is a useful tool

We have all been there your taking something apart you're thinking I'll never remember how this goes back together
Take a few pictures as you take it apart then you have a record of how it goes back together

Or at least what it should look like when you're finished
By Daiwiskers
Following on from my last post

This forum has a massive knowledge base for Enfield's and general spannering
Don't be afraid to ask even the seemingly daftest questions

The daftest question is the one that isn't asked, if you have looked something up in the manual and it doesn't seem right it maybe a misprint or genuine mistake, asking the question will often set you right
By Daiwiskers
If like me your car does low mileage and it's front wheel drive you may well have noticed the rear tyres crack and perish
With a rear wheel drive this isn't a problem
The reason is on front wheel drive cars both power and stearing is all provided by the front wheels the rears have very little to do

What I do to get more miles out of my tyre's is to swap them from front to back once a year (check pressure)

The advice used to be to rotate the wheels but when tyre's became rotational this became impossible to do and the practice was almost forgotten

Now car tyre's are mostly marked outside so rotating them is a plausible idea and probably better than swapping front to back (but they will all wear out at once)

Hopefully this one will save you a few Bob
By Daiwiskers
But you can swap front and back
The reason not to rotate is from the time tyres were directional (marked with direction of rotation)
directional tyres are rare these days but most are new tyres are marked outside

Think about bike tyres these are often marked front or rear with a directional arrow if universal fitment they will often say to fit one way for front fitment then the opposite way for rear fitment, the reason is the tyre on the front has to put up with braking forces the rear has to take the acceleration forces

Ask in your local tyre shop they will probably explain it better than me

Keep safe all Dai

Edit. If you're car has different sizes front and back it's my guess you have some high performance super car in this case I wouldn't touch it leave it to the dealership
By Daiwiskers
Dented petrol tank
We have a few things to try here

Firstly let your bike wear it's scars with pride and not worry about it

If the tank is creased or the paint is damaged your not going to get a decent result without needing filler and paint

If it's just a smooth dent then you have a chance

First thing I try is a sucker most bodywork suction pullers I have found too big but they may work for you, I have had success with a valve grinding sucker

If the sucker doesn't work I will try hot glue sticks you can buy a kit but I just use the sticks melt the ends of the sticks the bigger the dent the more sticks are needed with a gas torch and just push them into the dent leave to cool then slowly pull the dent out be careful not to pull too hard you may stretch the metal, use plastic scraper to get off the residue, bodywork glue sticks tend to be black or yellow.

Sometimes you can't pull the dent out so will have to push it out, a innertube pushed into the tank through the filler cap then slowly inflated will often work

The last thing I try will be is a bent prybar through the filler cap

Be careful working on fuel tanks empty and flush out with water or purge with exhaust fumes don't take chances

Hopefully this will help someone Dai
By Daiwiskers
You probably know this one but possibly new bullet owner's won't

The gasket behind the push rod adjustment cover has a hole in it

When replacing the cover put the hole at the bottom if you put it at the top oil will collect between the gasket and the cover making a right mess next time you remove the cover

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles