This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By windmill john
Damn you Dai, you and your blooming thread locking malarkey :x ;)

I’ve occasionally used Blue, but generally stick with copper grease. If something comes loose, I’ll nip it up. Better than finding a previous owner’s lets lock it down so a nuclear explosion won’t loosen it :x :x :x

Of course that could just be heavy handedness and lack of any lube...

Annnnnn breathe :mrgreen: I’ve just come in from the shed after one of the two bolts holding my brake lever bracket sheared. Had to weld a nut on, but got it off; that’s the short version :roll:

Ooer, back to tips.... I drip ACF50 onto my spoke nipples every so often, wipe away the excess and it keeps the corrosion away... but of course on my Bullet, they’re stainless! Still, helps the rim.

I wipe my tools down after every job. Can’t stand mess and trying to find something.

Probably has been covered, but definitely make up a test lead using an indicator bulb. This can show voltage drop, when a meter may not.

Rags, brake cleaner and radio, three things that really help.

John
By Daiwiskers
Thread lock don't use on dissimilar metals use hylomar or similar

Sorry John couldn't resist
By Daiwiskers
Amal carbs

Everyone knows that the slides wear but very often the bike will run fine with a worn slide
Often it's not the slide causing the rough running but the needle jet they seem to wear quicker than the slide
By Daiwiskers
Engine running badly you drain the carb discover water in the carb bowl, has it come from the tank?
If you suspect that it has, disconnect the fuel pipe from the carb put end of pipe into glass jar turn fuel tap to the reserve position drain off a pint or so of fuel, if there's water in the fuel you will see it in the jar.
If you use the on position you will be drawing fuel from higher in the tank and not get any water
By Daiwiskers
The old hand's will know this

So one for the newbies

Spanners come in different lengths to avoid over tightening fasteners and stripping threads a set of stubby spanners really helps
Old hand's will have a feel for the spanners they use
New hands not so much and strip threads
Be extra careful when using a socket set for tightening if that ratchet handle is a lot longer than the spanner go easy hold the ratchet where you would hold the spanner of that size don't just hang on and pull

What spanners to buy? Hilka do a set of metric and imperial long and stubby for about £25 these will cover you for most jobs on your bike and not brake the bank (I bought a set for a mate that had his tools robbed and he was more than happy)
Hope our host's don't mind me saying that as they sell tools

Sorry guys and gal's long post but hopefully helpful to the newbie spanner turner's Dai

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles