This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
I ´ll take a good look at the wiring and relays.

Now that a couple of you mentioned it (the ekectrics) - I came to think, that a couple of times last year, the light in the speedo disappeared, and when I "wriggled" the ignition key, it came back, so maybe something isn`t right inside the ignition key.

I have had the ignition key unit out of the headlamp to inspect it for broken wires on the outside - but all seems ok.

Will try and see if I can bypass the key and then check what happens.

Can the ignition switch pass current to the starter motor but not to the rest of the electricsl system, so the engine turns and fires when starter is activated, and then dies when the starter disengages????
I would say probably so, but without looking at a wiring diagram for your bike it's not possible to say where the fault might lie. What I have found though, is that many electrical faults (not just on bikes) are caused by a faulty earth connection.
The ignition key switch on my original Electra-X sometimes needed a nudge to get an iffy connection to work, no green neutral light until I did. The cure was a new switch. None of the external wires had broken, but something inside was failing.

While you're at it, check the neutral indicator switch on the gearbox as well as the clutch lever switch, and the condition of the wiring around the headstock, the original wire from the battery to the ammeter went brittle where the wiring loom flexed and had to be by-passed.

A.
Just a thought does the bike have a side stand switch?
They often give trouble
Check the earth's is a good call to

Take care all Dai
UPDATE:

After having followed a lot of your suggestions ( BIG thanks to all) I finally nailed it!

One of the wires to the side stand kill switch had broken - something must have grabbed hold of the wire under the bike during driwing, as all insulation and one of the two wires was torn apart.

The wire may or may have hit engine ground (guess engine is grounded/killed when sidestand is out, so the bike thought I would drive with sidestand out).

I removed the switch and wiring, and the engine runs perfectly :-)

Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, focusing on wiring. You are a great lot! :-)

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles