This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Geoff K
Hi, I am rewiring an old Redditch Bullet restoration project. I have a question regarding the light switch please. The yellow wire is supposed to connect to the 'light switch centre'. There is no screw mounting... so how is it attached? Is this wire to be soldered to the brass/copper body? Many thanks for any advice.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (12.59 KiB) Viewed 1602 times
By vince
Hi, on normal switch the terminal no5 is connected to the centre by a brass tab. I say normal as I have seen switches without this. Vince
By Geoff K
Thanks Vince, the diagram shows that clearly with the brown/green wires connected to it. However the yellow seems to go to the 'top' body of the switch that has no screw connector. Hence my question if it needs soldering there.
By Adrian
It looks like you're rewiring to the original 6V. Converting to 12V lets you simplify the charging system, needing only one power wire to go into the light switch. The yellow wire you mention and the green wire to terminal 1 are dispensed with.

My guess is it's an alternator Bullet if the letters FIER on the extract from the wiring diagram is a part of the word RECTIFIER. You can leave the old style rectifier in place for cosmetic purposes and tuck a modern reg/rectifier unit somewhere out of the way (make sure it's still well ventilated).

A.
By John L
Hi -
Your switch should have a copper strip between the pivot pin of the the two "rockers" at the top of the switch (as pictured)
and the pivot pin of one of the rollers contained in the rockers. (These rollers follow the cam form of the central rotor of the switch).
The copper strip referred to has a rolled connector which accepts a male bullet on the yellow wire. This rolled connector is very similar to that of a BPF headlamp connector, if that's any help.........
By Geoff K
Thanks guys that is really helpful! This is a 1960 Bullet and my intention is to retain the original 6v system for now and see how it goes. The picture of the wiring diagram is from a later Bullet but I used that picture as it is clearer than my poor copy of the original diagram. John you are right there is a rolled piece of copper but I had no idea what it was. Now what you say makes complete sense as it must be a bullet connection! Doh! Why I could not figure that out I can't understand! It now seems blindingly obvious!
Thanks again - this great forum comes to the rescue again!
Geoff
By John L
Further info :-
Search on this site for "LU/31491A"
Go to "details".
Pic. shows the rolled connector clearly.
Hope this heps...
By Adrian
John L wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:20 pm
Hi -
Your switch should have a copper strip between the pivot pin of the the two "rockers" at the top of the switch (as pictured)
and the pivot pin of one of the rollers contained in the rockers. (These rollers follow the cam form of the central rotor of the switch).
The copper strip referred to has a rolled connector which accepts a male bullet on the yellow wire. This rolled connector is very similar to that of a BPF headlamp connector, if that's any help.........
This one, I believe.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... ical/14957

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles