This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Theoldbill
I have a 1957 Reddich 500 Bullet that leaks SEA50 oil from the gearbox. I've replaced the K/S shaft 'O' ring box but still leaks, a lot! can anybody advise please, thicker oil? Grease?
By Daiwiskers
I am running blue grease in asbo 30,
It may rob a bit of power but it stays in and changes really well
Hope this helps Dai
By Spudgun
Are you sure that you're supposed to put oil in that gearbox? I used the recommended grease in my 1999 Lightning.
By Daiwiskers
In the Harley I use a full synthetic 85/140 and have been thinking about trying it in asbo 30
But for the time being I have the blue grease in there
I did try 20/50 but it leaked from behind the gearbox sprocket
Oil as Paul pointed out is specified for the redditch gearboxes but mine leaked from behind the gearbox sprocket I probably have a seal gone
20/50 for engine and primary
Cheers Dai
By Lou E
My 1966 Oilfield Interceptor Cutom leaked like ten pigs when I got it running. I put it on the centerstand running and looked up at the drive sprocket oil seal..... It was fine......what was not so fine was the blind end bush on the layshaft which was spinning in the case!. Had the local machine shop make one up a bit larger for an interference fit and on to the next leak! Tally Ho!
By Geoff K
I use semi-fluid grease NLGI 00 as a good compromise. Hitchcocks sell Renolit EP00 that will do the job.
By Dinsdale
Hitchcocks sell Renolit 00 grease.Need approx 700 grams in an Albion gearbox and 20/50 oil - should do the trick from a rebuild.If just topping up check the "gloopiness" of the oil and mix with more grease if too thin - should help to stop the leaks.Don't be tempted to just pump grease in with a gun - it won't disperse enough into the oil
By trophyvase
Not sure BW is right about lubrication for Redditch gearboxes. The workshop manuals insist that 'heavy yellow grease' must never be used. But the same manual states that in 'normal [!!??!!] climates the recesses should be packed with soft grease'.

Using only oil often result in oil leaks. The Renolit grease is recommended when rebuilding a gearbox. Otherwise topping up with engine oil is normal.
By PeteF
I found if you put a dollop (tablespoon or so) if Black Moly in with the 00 grease it turns semi liquid. Been like that for 20k miles with no problem and it's the best Albion gearchange I've ever used.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles