This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By PeteF
Het yourself a Zeus workshop booklet and a set of thread pitch gauges. All will become crystal clear.
By Daiwiskers
I still have no idea !
But I think if you measure the diameter of the thread and order the fixing of that size it will fit ?
I have no idea what spanner will fit but I have found a spline drive socket set helps when working on things with odd size fasteners, dam Harley like to use 12 point bolts on brakes and other odd places
By Adrian
As I understand it most Whitworth Thread Bolts will now use the BSF Hexagon sizes and have done for a number of years.

The confusion is that the SPANNER size still goes by the OLD hexagon size for Whitworth. Basically, if you have a good set of Whitworth spanners/sockets you will have something to fit BSF bolt heads too.

Whitworth and BSA bolts always go size wise by the thread diameter, so do metric bolts, AND the American UNC/UNF fasteners. However the spanners for metric and UNF/UNC bolts measure across the flats of the hex head.

You'll get used to it.

A.
By Jools G
As long as you remember that a BSF (British Standard Fine) spanner is always marked 1/16" bigger than the equivalent BSW (Whitworth), you can't go far wrong.

As examples, a spanner marked '5/16" BSF' will fit a 5/16" BSF nut/bolt AND a 1/4" BSW nut/bolt; one marked '1/2" BSF' will fit a 1/2" BSF nut/bolt AND a 7/16" BSW nut/bolt. My 'Williams Superslim' spanners have been faithful friends for many years, and have both equivalents conveniently marked.

Be aware that the thread forms are completely different between BSF and BSW. The BSW thread form is very coarse, and it's use on British bikes is/was pretty limited in my experience. The CEI (or Cycle Thread) was in far greater use on many British machines and was characterised by an adherence to a fine thread form of 26 TPI (threads per inch) for most of the commonly sized nuts/bolts from 1/4" - 9/16". They too use the BSF hex sizing and are direct equivalents.

Metric is strangely no better - there are alternative thread forms for each diameter, a fact which has caught me out not only my Jap bikes but on my cars too!
By Wheaters
The difference in metric thread pitches isn’t too difficult to fathom, especially if you own a thread pitch gauge set, which is very inexpensive to buy. There is normally a choice of only two threads for each size and not surprisingly the rule is that the larger the size, the greater the pitch. Choosing the correct spanner or socket size could not be simpler.

I was actually brought up on Imperial measurements and have a whole range of spanners and sockets (I was bought an Imperial socket set for my 18th birthday) but certainly far prefer metric.

Thread drift warning! I was also brought up “pre-decimal” currency and had to convert. I was doing a paper round in my teens when decimal currency came in. I used to have to collect the week’s money on Saturday mornings and on the weekend of the changeover I had to collect cash in £ and give change in decimal currency. Explaining that to many older folk was an interesting experience. One old lady told me: “This decimal money will never catch on round here!” :mrgreen: :lol:
By Count Johnny
My solution, to this conundrum, was to buy a single nut and bolt in all sizes and thread conventions and to store them in labelled bead containers, giving me a comprehensive reference library for all eventualities.
By Count Johnny
As an aside, I am reminded that Keith Duckworth (the Worth in CosWorth) is reported to have said, of the Whitworth thread, that we had the best thread and threw it away.
By windmill john
I’ve worked on a number of Japanese and German bikes; Italian too.... I’ve had too many bikes!!!

Anyway, last week I had to order An M8 by 1mm pitch nut! As far as I recall I’ve only ever used M8 by 1.25. I suddenly felt like I was in the Whitworth/BSP world :roll:

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles