This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
Presto wrote:Primary source UN.
The UN (like all international alliances) is an organisation which basically comprises two factions.

One group contains the wealthy countries where 'Big Business' is based (at least as far as making money is concerned; the manufacturing may not be...) Powerful corporations worldwide have undue influence over the actions of so-called democratic governments.

The other group are the basket-cases/developing countries who need the support which being a member of the organisation seems to provide.

Both groups benefit from population expansion. The rich ones need customers and cheap labour, the developing ones need to provide plenty of people to ensure that the labour is cheap.

There may just be a chance that they all would wish to see published population figures that do not indicate that population expansion is out of control and leading to ecological (and hence social, economic and political) disaster. We just need to remember - who is funding the 'research' and report writing? Follow the money, as is often said....

Ride safely (for as long as we are allowed to!)
I'm going to alternate fill ups on the Himalayan between E10 and E5 to get an evidenced response to the original question . Performance/ smoothness/ fuel consumption etc.
You can still buy ethanol free fuel at horticultural equipment outlets eg Aspen and Stihl Alkylate fuels with a five year shelf life. My Suffolk Punch loves it! Trouble is it is about £25 for 5 litres.
Things move on and we adapt. I remember my uncle ranting that the end of the world had come because he couldn't get 5 star fuel for his 2000E Ford Corsair. The majority of the population don't really care/can't be bothered/don't know. As long as the monthly PCP payments for whatever they use for self propulsion is manageable, that's the main concern. At the end of the 19th century, the biggest concern was the amount of horse manure in city streets. It would appear horse manure is still very prevalent in the 21st century, but it is emitted from a different orifice.
As I understand it ,from September this year E5 will be called protection grade and will be guaranteed available for 5 years most of the major manufacturers have signed up to this ,then in 5 yrs time it will be reassessed to again commit to another 5yrs

Colin
There is a bit of info via the .Gov website 're the continuation of E5 , and it would appear the vehicles that will potentially suffer the most from E10 are early pre 2011 efi. As far as reduced mpg from E10, I'm not getting my pants in a tangle over it. My old 900ss Ducati was always better on fuel than my mates, possibly due to the fact I am 6 stones lighter. :lol:
Er, what about Tornado, my 1994 iron barreled bullet? Is E10 ok to use?

I watched a friend in France. He takes a 20 litre clear fuel can, fills it, takes it home, adds a couple of litres of water, stirs slowly and the ethanol dissolves in the water which you can see as the dividing line between fuel and water changes. He skims the water+ethanol off the top and then bungs the fuel in his 1969 Citroen DS. It seems perfectly happy so far.
I have seen some recommendations to add octane booster if you go down that route, whatever negative effects the ethanol has, it is claimed to as as an octane booster, so its loss might need to be compensated for. Glad to hear 1969 Citroens aren't fussy.

So once you're removed the petrol from the ethanol, is the ethanol/water mix drinkable? What % proof or by volume is it? I should be able to work it out from the figures you quote, but it's Saturday and I can't be bothered. You can bet someone, somewhere will give it a go... :mrgreen: I will be sticking to recognised tipples for the foreseeable future, I think.

A.
Use a fuel stabiliser, or fill up with Shell v power, or Esso synergy, it's dearer but as Enfields can manage 70/80 mpg it doesn't matter much. Some stations will carry selling E5 for some time. I don't think E10 harms the engine if you are filling up on a regular basis, it's when it is left over a period of time it can cause rusting in the tank and rot rubber components. I keep my 500 twin fully topped up to minimise the amount of air and use the stabiliser.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles