This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
I remember my great granddad telling me way back in 1886, just after he'd bedded down his horses after a hard days driving, someone told him Carl Benz had applied for a patent for a "Gas engine" " bad thing" my great grandad said. He knew what was coming. They didn't have Facebook in those days you know. :lol:
E10 has been progressively rolled out across Europe since 2009 and is currently available in 15 EU countries: Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Romania, Slovakia and Sweden.

Anyone seen a list of horror stories/engine catastrophes from any of the above ? Bound to be someone riding motorcycles over there that fill the forums with impending doom willing to share their experiences. I am going to run my Bullet solely on E10, and see what happens. I'll keep you informed of any unnatural happenings and substantial increases in population growth in my area.
Duke of Wybourne. wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:32 am
Anyone seen a list of horror stories/engine catastrophes from any of the above ? Bound to be someone riding motorcycles over there that fill the forums with impending doom willing to share their experiences.
Did you see my earlier post? The one about how my motorbike caught fire while I was riding it? That was an actual thing that actually happened due to running E5 in a carb that wasn't designed for it.
stinkwheel wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:34 pm
Duke of Wybourne. wrote:
Anyone seen a list of horror stories/engine catastrophes from any of the above ? Bound to be someone riding motorcycles over there that fill the forums with impending doom willing to share their experiences.
Did you see my earlier post? The one about how my motorbike caught fire while I was riding it? That was an actual thing that actually happened due to running E5 in a carb that wasn't designed for it.
Yes. And I read this bit.

"Replaced these with viton tipped ethanol-safe ones"

When did you discover this was necessary ?
Duke of Wybourne. wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:56 pm
stinkwheel wrote:
Duke of Wybourne. wrote:

After I noticed the bike had been on fire and set out to find out why in case it happened again. There was extensive corrosion on both of the the all aluminium needle valves which was causing them to stick open and leak. Could have been worse if it wasn't for the vacuum fuel tap. This was only three months after having stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the carbs and lined the tank with POR15. The needles were like new at the point when I stripped the carbs otherwise I'd have replaced them.
stinkwheel wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:43 pm
Duke of Wybourne. wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:56 pm
stinkwheel wrote:

After I noticed the bike had been on fire and set out to find out why in case it happened again. There was extensive corrosion on both of the the all aluminium needle valves which was causing them to stick open and leak. Could have been worse if it wasn't for the vacuum fuel tap. This was only three months after having stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the carbs and lined the tank with POR15. The needles were like new at the point when I stripped the carbs otherwise I'd have replaced them.
What mileage had the bike covered allowing this deterioration to happen ?
Duke of Wybourne. wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:32 am

What mileage had the bike covered allowing this deterioration to happen ?
It had sat in my lockup for about 6 years. It got pulled out, stripped down and made serviceable. Which is when I lined the tank because it had sprung a leak behind a piece of trim and did all the usual servicing things you'd do to a bike after a long layup -including cleaning the carbs. Did a couple of hundred miles shakedown, was then parked up in a heated workshop for about three months. The fire happened on the way down to a rally, I hadn't even noticed although it did lose power then pick up again on the motorway. When I got home, I was having a look at it because it was bogging and misfiring at low revs and noticed the hole melted in the airbox.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles