This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Wheaters
The surface speed of the outer face of the flywheel is far higher than that of the points cam in a distributor. I would think the wear rate of the points heel run against that would be very high.
By Presto
'Hypothetical' it certainly is. This is one of the most bizarre postings to appear on this forum. Maybe all the better for that!
But whatever the theoretical possibility the practical reality I think would be a very different matter.

As has been pointed out the wear on the points heel would be extreme unless the outer surface was 'polished' as is the case with a points cam. Re-adjustment would be necessary on almost every run. Assuming that the set up would work in any case. Which I doubt.

But 10 out of 10 for coming up with a theory. Nearly as inventive as perpetual motion!
By Rattlebattle
I converted my Euro III C5 to a carb, mainly because these earlier bikes really do have cr*p wiring and connectors. It ticks over more slowly now, doesn’t suffer from off-idle stuttering, particularly when cold, and doesn’t play up. I can also change jetting easily to suit intake and exhaust mods. That said I prefer EFI overall, but only if it’s possible to remap without Power Commanders and such, or self-adjusts like more advanced EFI systems do. Whilst the hardware on my gen of EFI is sound Keihin, the firmware isn’t and is not reflashable. Dyno operators these days would far rather adjust EFI systems than multi-carbed ones; so would I but the RE one doesn’t allow this.
On the ignition side it runs fine with no mods at all. It is I suppose similar to Boyer in that it has an electronic advance curve. As has been said, it is wasted spark and gets its signal from the alternator/generator, once each crank revolution. If there were to be a way of hooking up a points system from this it would fire like a two-stroke and burn out the contacts regularly, I imagine. Personally I can’t see why two bits of metal bashing together speeds of around 5,000rpm could possibly be better than an electronic system. I was sceptical of electronic ignition forty years ago and maintained that points could always be fixed at the roadside (true), but I’ve never had any problem with electronic ignition. I really cannot see the point (ahem).
By Adrian
But 10 out of 10 for coming up with a theory. Nearly as inventive as perpetual motion!
A bit of lateral thinking is good brain exercise however impractical the outcome. Now if you were to replace the heel of the points with a small roller...

OK, I think I'll leave it there.

A.
By Squadron
Great outcome. Thanks for all the replies on this subject. Everyone seems to have a good sense of humour and there are actually a few ideas worth thinking about in there! Keep it coming please! :)
By MCE
Hi all,
Currently researching ways of potentially de cluttering the UCE E4 wiring and have got thus far. It would appear that an MSD 4217 ignition would function with the stock ignition trigger and would require a custom ignition tune from a laptop. This would render existing ECU redundant and require discrete indicator relay but retain the stock regulator rectifier and require fitting of carb kit, my own preference being our hosts mikuni. Wouldn't be cheap, current estimate about a grand! Quite a price to pay to replace an existing well sorted stock set up I think! But none the less an interesting project concept in tandem with some of our hosts lovely engine mods......where's that lifetime mortgage leaflet!!!

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles