This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Daiwiskers
Didn't someone on here have something in the fuel tank that was lose and blocking the fuel tap from time to to time

Could you drain the tank through the tap while shaking the bike side to side?

It's not something daft like a big bunch of key's pulling on the ignition switch ? Or your trousers flapping over the air intake (if it only happens when you wear one pair of trousers that's your problem)
By windmill john
Thanks again both.

Three things:

I’ll pull off the ignition switch and have a good rout around.

I have an Amal Monobloc. I just took off the big round end from the side of the float bowl and a large piece of the fibrous Sealing gasket was sitting in the float chamber.... now, I could have dislodged it when I removed the cover, but it was big, like over half an inch long by third of an inch.... I’ll order a kit and clean all.

One benefit of going back to points is, generally, they’ll work or they won’t.

Just looked on our hosts and notice I have the extended cover, part 29A. Maybe one of you knows the difference between standard and extended; I don’t mean length! :) ignore that, just found out it just increases amount of fuel available.

John
By Daiwiskers
And the longer screw's can hook up the float usually causing the carb to flood

If you get the standard cover you will need the shorter screw's
By Daiwiskers
A piece of that gasket loose in the float bowl, could well be the cause the fuel gets to the jet's through the opening at the bottom rear of the float bowl
If that bit of gasket was covering the port it would stop the fuel getting to the jet's

I think you have found it!

Just a bit of grease on the new gasket both side's and don't over tighten the screw's

Sorry I missed it in your reply earlier

Virtual beer to celebrate Dai
By Harald
Maybe you should change the spark plug connector if it has a resistor inside. The contacts of the resistor are prone to corrosion. During the years I had this problem twice. Under no compression there was a spark, but when screwed-in the spark plug in the engine the spark failed. Damp weather favoured the failure as well as heat.
You may first exchange the spark plug itself and next the spark plug connector.
Good luck and hope you can fix it.
By windmill john
Thanks again all.

I’ll give the carb a good seeing to, I would and will grease the gasket Dai.
Vince, as if ignition turned off.
Harald, as I’ve just ordered the gasket set, I don’t want to pay postage again. If fault not rectified with some ignition switch fiddling and a carb strip, then I’ll check the plug and cap, thanks. It was a hot dry ride, but the first time was early morning.

John
By Daiwiskers
What was the gasket like ? was there a section missing? They will leak if the gasket was damaged however they usually come away with the cover in one piece

All I can think is it was missed by a previous owner

Don't forget the small brass spacer that fits on the float pivot pin after the float

Can't really see it being part of the cover gasket as you said it's about a half inch by about a third of an inch

It's a odd one but I think it's the problem

Typical I have just tried to take a picture of a stripped monobloc and my photos are not appearing on my phone I will try again later

Dai
By Daiwiskers
Now it works! Technology be blowed
20200625_083944.jpg
20200625_083944.jpg (446.98 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
Note remanants (spelling) of red hematite

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles