This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Daiwiskers
Lost count of the number of times I have said it but

Pull apart all electrical connections spray with WD40 or similar then coat all with silicon grease ( dielectric )
Reconnect all connections and hope that it was just water where it shouldn't have been
For the ignition switch I use a silicon spray (also great for car door's that freeze closed)

Hope this helps Dai
By Allanfox
Might be a daft idea but is the fuel tap ok and not partially blocked? Your symptoms are a lot like when you go on reserve (horrible moment followed by elation when it restarts!), never heard of it but those are the ones that catch us out!
By trophyvase
Just another take on advice to avoid water in connectors.

If you use ACF50 it's not necessary to pull apart all connectors. It’s not always a good idea to do that as it is too easy to pull the connector away from the wire they connect to. ACF50 has an astonishing ability to ‘track’ along surfaces and will penetrate the connector and the prevent water damage deep within the body of the connector without the need to spray it directly onto the internal surfaces of the connector.
By windmill john
Well... how’s this for intermittent..... did it again today, so second time in just under three months!
Bike used every week at least once; minimum.
So, travelling along at about 50 mph, loss of ‘power’.

Switched to reserve whilst still moving, no different.

Came to a stop. Everything had power, so was about to don rubber gloves to check spark. But... and this is the important bit.... it’s my BIG Birthday today. Can’t be my birthday surely, as only OLD people are 60!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Not only that, I had a Chineses takeaway in the top box, first for four months. Has Lady Luck some sort of weird sense of humour!

Anyway, about to phone my wife to collect me so we could eat, kicked over the bike.... it started....

So, my thinking, as I had not run low on fuel, is the good old fuel starvation or the electronic ignition.

During March I disconnected loads of bits, cleaned, lubed, so I don’t think it’s contacts.

So, if it has only happened twice in three months, I’ll stick with fuel starvation, need to check my screw on filler plug, or ignition.
If I get frustrated if it happens again, then I might buy a back plate with points etc and revert.

More importantly, just finished my Chinese, it was lovvvvvely :mrgreen:

John
By Daiwiskers
Happy birthday John

My money's on the coil
By windmill john
It’s interesting that the ride home from where it stopped was about five miles. I didn't slow down. You’d have thought it would have done it again; couldn’t slow down, Chinese in box.

Thanks for the birthday wishes Dai :D
By windmill john
Just a question. If I were to switch back to points , Is it just the backplate and points set up needed? condenser obviously.

I can’t see alternate coils. On my Airheads, you’d need a different coil depending on electronic or points; resistance dependant.
By Daiwiskers
I think that it will be the same coil but wouldn't swear to it

Another thought I have known rubber fuel line to brake up internally

(and Volvo brake servo pipes, don't ask brown trouser moment that one)

Possibly worth trying a new fuel line before changing out the coil

Edit I didn't explain that very well
The fuel pipe almost delaminates and blocks the fuel flow it may look perfect on the outside I now use clear pipe for fuel with a carb
By Daiwiskers
Spark plug?
I have given up with NGK in anything but a dead stock vehicle with fuel injection

For the last couple of years I have been using Champion plugs in the bike's and they seem to last far longer

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles