This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By windmill john
On the way to work this morning, 2003 kick start 350 Bullet and it died.
Travelling along at 40 to 50.
Okay, so plug out and sparks well.
Pull off fuel hose, fuel okay.....
Grrrrr!
Check tank cap and not blocked.
Scratched head.
Waggled back and forth the kill switch, did rain dance, tried to start and it did!!!

High Ho, carried onto work I go.

Intermittent, interschmittent.

Now, temp was low, so doubt if coil breaking down, but won't dismiss.
It has a red ignition thingy, I think this:

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/3203

Any other ideas?

Sorry, forgot to check lights. I think I did and all well.
Can't think about bad connection as I travelled a good hundred yards before coasting to a stop, I would have thought the motion would fire it, but it was like turning the key off.

John
By trophyvase
Diagnosis always difficult when away from the bike. But here's a try.

Engine stops but with sparks at the plug and fuel in the carb.
All the usual - does it spark under compression, is there any compression, might it be an intermittent electrical fault, is there possibly water in the electrics, might the 'red thingy' [electronic ignition unit] be faulty?

We look forward to other guesses from our knowledgeable contributors.
We'll be bound to hit on the real fault sooner or later! :idea: :idea: :idea:
By Chris [Stockport]
On my Yr 2000 Bullet 500, it was the switch in the aftermarket sidestand. It was very intermittent; sometimes riding shook it loose, other times reconnected it....
All well after I bridged across that with a piece of wire.
Don't know if you've got one?
Good luck, Chris
By windmill john
Thanks both.

Probably looking at electrical issue, it cut out at speed, so probably not compression.
No side stand switch on mine.

John
By trophyvase
I'd suggest spraying electrics with ACF50 - and leaving for a half-hour. I'd expect it's a water/moisture related problem.

I recall having left a bike out in the rain the day I'd bought it and it totally failing to start. I expected the worst. But it was only water where water should not have been.

Or maybe a loose connection, or maybe a fraying wire, or maybe a component breaking down, or maybe - well time for a cup of tea!!
By stinkwheel
When my 612 made me push it fully luggaged up along a mile of dual carriageway, it turned out there was water in the ignition switch.
By windmill john
Thanks all.
I did think about ignition switch.

Bike unused since last Friday, lives outside, cold weekend, possibly a bit of moisture build up.

I will do what I did on my boxers, spray clean all handlebar electrics, dry and then ACF.

John
By GSSTEVE
If when you stopped and let it cool down did it start? If it did and went on a little further and did the same again my money is on the coil. This is how i diagnosed mine, being a hot or cold day will not really make a difference.
Hope this helps, Steve.
By windmill john
Carried on to work no issues, came home no issues.

I’ll keep an eye on it, but just hoping it was a bit of condensation or something.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles