This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Chris [Stockport]
Could you say:
What bike, if original or later addition decal, what it says on it, if the tank has original paint etc?
Could help with a good answer,
Chris
By Daiwiskers
I used evo stick contact adhesive on mine
But mine are not as thick as the one's on your bike

Worth a try Dai
By stinkwheel
Gorilla glue is really effective, it's polurethane adhesive. Very tolerant of gaps, extremely good bond on most materials, very waterproof and fairly flexible.

There is a caveat though, it expands and foams up slightly as it cures (hence the flexability and gap filling) so you need the thing you are glueing to be firmly held down, maybe with gaffa tape or by strapping a block of wood over the top until it cures. It needs a little moisture to cure, wiping one surface with a barely damp cloth is sufficient. Apply the adhesive very sparingly.

You would also need to mask the paint round the outside because there is invariably some squeeze-out as it cures. This is easily removed with a stanley knife blade (it's a kind of loose, crusty foam) but I can't garauntee it wouldn't mark the paint. I'd put masking tape on the paint then brown parcel tape on the masking tape. Probably overkill.

I use gorilla glue for things as varied as glueing the sole back on a shoe (so I know it works well on rubber) through to attaching the gunwales to a wooden canoe.

Another adhesive which is extremely effective for this kind of thing is West Systems G-flex epoxy but maybe overkill for this job.
By Allanfox
Like Daiwiskers I have used evostick with success in the past, doesn’t damage the paint and the knee pad can be got off if you ever want to replace them, and glue residue can be peeled off.
By PeteF
There is a non foaming Gorilla glue. Not used it but it might be better in this case.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles