This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By stinkwheel
I would, it's unlikely to do any harm. I'd probably flush it through with some cheap oil after and make sure you prime the oilways etc when you fill with the "proper" oil so it's not trying to pump something really thin. I've seen jap bikes with leaky needle valves land up with significant amounts of petrol in the engine oil for quite some time unnoticed and not take any noticeable damage so a tiny trace of paraffin will probably just evaporate once the oil gets hot.

My only caveat is it might find a leak that isn't really a leak. When I flushed my gearbox with paraffin, it literally poured out through the drive shaft bearing when I put it on the sidestand.
By Adrian
Sorry if this repeats some of Stinkwheels's post, as he's quicker on the keyboard, but...

There are some small but important detail differences between the Electra-X and classic Bullet design, despite both engines' crankcases using a common set of castings, so what works for the classic is not always appropriate for the Electra-X.

Later Indian classic Bullets have a small oil seal behind the crankshaft timing pinion to stop oil leaking out of the timing chest, as shown in Stinkwheel's picture, but the Electra-X doesn't have this. Also there is no quill bolt for the crank end-feed on the Electra-X, instead a spigot on the end of the crankshaft runs directly in an oil seal pressed into to the timing cover. The oil in the timing chest should not be betting past this seal and out through the crankpin, only the oil pumped via the feed pump should be doing this.

But won't the Electra then wet-sump past the unsealed crankshaft? Yep, Mine would wet-sump gladly, but the high capacity scavenge gear pump would always clear the sump contents before it started smoking.

Wet sumping is down to the oil in the timing chest leaking out into the bottom of the crankcase, but to check that it's not leaking from the oil tank directly into the crankcase, do this.

1. Bike on centre stand.

2. Remove the sump drain/strainer plug and run off any oil already there.

3. Remove the timing cover and collect the oil that drains out of the timing chest.

4. Plug the feed oil drilling in the crankcase where it meets the corresponding drilling in the timing cover.

5. Once everything has finished draining, leave a clean bowl underneath the drain plug overnight with the oil tank filled to normal levels.

6. All being well, the clean bowl will still be empty in the morning if the joint between the oil tank and the main part of the crankcase is sound. To make it easier to check, you could also do this with ALL the old oil drained and only fresh clean oil in the tank.

A.
By Allanfox
Thanks Adrian and yes will do this check, my initial concern was just how much oil was in the crankcase, it was 4 inches deep, not sure of the sump volume up to that height but just seemed a lot of oil! Maybe I am over thinking it and the scavenge would work fine, just seeing it without barrel alarmed me!

However the test will reveal all!
By Beezabryan
To help clarify Stinky's pic, here is a 1994 Bullet crankcase half showing a drilling between case and oil compartment

By PopSmoke
I would suggest not filling oil level above 3/4. Try a short trip and listen, to the motor. Always leave your Efnield at T.D.C. when not running. Embrace the suck.
By Adrian
That hole is there on the Electra-X, though in common with all the late Bullets which breath of of the top of the oil tank it might be a little larger.

A.
By Allanfox
I have just realised that all the oil was in the sump and very little was in the tank (juts sludge), is there any way or circumstance where training the sump will also drain the tank? I only rode it a couple of miles before stripping the engine and I did check tank level before setting off, does sound like an internal leak?

Doing the tank paraffin clean and leak test over the weekend so we will see!! (not sure I want to!)
By stinkwheel
So you checked the oil, rode it a couple of miles and now the tank is empty and the sump is full?

Has it leaked or was it pumped? Oil gets pumped from the tank to the crankcase by the feed pump then picked up by the scavenge pump and sent to the rocker from where it returns under gravity to the oil tank.

Is your scavenge circuit working properly? Scavenge pump working? Blockage in an oilway?

You would normally test the pump by loosening one of the rocker banjos and kicking the bike over a few times. Oil should seep out round the banjo. I periodically get paranoid about this and do that check after startup.
By Adrian
Allanfox wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:59 am
I have just realised that all the oil was in the sump and very little was in the tank (juts sludge), is there any way or circumstance where training the sump will also drain the tank? I only rode it a couple of miles before stripping the engine and I did check tank level before setting off, does sound like an internal leak?

Doing the tank paraffin clean and leak test over the weekend so we will see!! (not sure I want to!)

Draining the sump via the front drain plug/strainer should not affect the level of oil in the tank unless, as has been suggested, the joint between the oil pump and main section of the crankcase has been breached. Our hosts' parts books show a gasket for the crankcase halves but there's a nagging something at the back of my mind about the Electra-X crankcase halves being assembled without gaskets at the factory (unlike the Indian classic Bullet), relying only on sealant and hoping the milling machine was leaving a decent finish!

Another problem with checking the oil levels in a Bullet engine which as only just been stopped is that it can take a while for any excess oil in the timing chest (as well as what's still finding its way back down from the top end) to dribble back into the tank via the rather small drain hole in the timing chest.

A.
Attachments
DSCN4034.JPG
By Allanfox
This does not have a gasket but a silver silicon sealant as means of sealing the crankcase, would not be the least surprised if it leaks as looks to squirt out all over the place so not very well applied!!! If I do a leak test and all is ok then can only be a lack of pumping the sump out, considering the silicon squirted about I would not be surprised to find a blocked oil way!!! Bit of a pain in the ass to say the least!! There was oil getting to the top as did check before the last ride.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles