This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By jaybie
That's a very tidy solution. It will be a while before I'm brave enough to drill into the crank case!
By Allanfox
windmill john wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 6:00 pm
Blimey, some of you have such shiny bikes!
Whilst not proud of mine being dirty, I ride all year, so don’t want to be a slave to cleaning.
Trust me John I look forward to getting some miles on mine and getting it dirty, sadly it has had more stripped down time that riding time so far, too much Solvol and not enough road dirt!! 8-)
By Allanfox
jaybie wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:45 pm
That's a very tidy solution. It will be a while before I'm brave enough to drill into the crank case!
I was a bit nervous to be honest but it can always be welded up ! I would think if you were brave you could drill it with the engine in the frame but stripped down as far as removing the piston, just have to ensure you didn't drop any swarf down the crankcase!! It does drill into a cast pocket and not just straight through, so swarf could be caught!
By tobyker
for various reasons I've not used my 2007 350 classic for about a year. last time I rode it there was plenty of oil in the tank, but now there's nothing at all on the dipstick. Will the oil have wetsumped down so far that nothing shows on the stick? Is it safe to try to start the engine, or should I drain the sump first?
By tobyker
Thanks, John. There is no pool on the floor. I merely wondered if so much oil could be in the sump that nothing shows on the dipstick. When I checked it before my last ride, it was half to 3/4 up the dipstick marks. Drain or start?
By papasmurf
tobyker wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:59 pm
I merely wondered if so much oil could be in the sump that nothing shows on the dipstick.
Yes it can, it is why I gave my Electra X away. It was just too much hassle.
By Wheaters
It’s not a big job to drain the oil……surely a case of “If in doubt, drain it out”.

If it’s new oil, just put it back in so’s not to waste it and then start the engine. :D

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles