This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Allanfox
On my AVL engine there is the duck bill as you suggest and it does also have an engine breather that is connected to the top of the oil tank, also a small dia one connected to the primary. Mystery to me???
By Wheaters
Allan, where does the end of the pipe with the duck bill go?

(You're probably aware, but the primary chaincase breather is completely separate from the engine).
By Allanfox
Will check later, disappears under the seat, have had the catch can off before but can't remember what goes where from top of my head, will remove a side panel later!

Yeah funny one the primary one, this engine has an oil seal on the drive side of the crank so why does the primary need such formal venting, would it not be better to use this as a chain oiler as can't see much oil would come out?
By stinkwheel
Allanfox wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:04 pm
Yeah funny one the primary one, this engine has an oil seal on the drive side of the crank so why does the primary need such formal venting, would it not be better to use this as a chain oiler as can't see much oil would come out?
I know some BSAs breathe into the primary. If you get it wrong, all your engine oil can land up in the primary drivecase then on your left boot and none in the engine.
By papasmurf
Allanfox wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:04 pm
Will check later, disappears under the seat, have had the catch can off before but can't remember what goes where from top of my head, will remove a side panel later!

The ducks bill is in the catch can. To remove the catch can means removing the battery, the battery carrier, and the seat. (It is still a difficult job after that.)
By Allanfox
I can second that, what a performance to get to it!!!!!!
By papasmurf
Allanfox wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:36 am
I can second that, what a performance to get to it!!!!!!
If that is my give away bike I put easier clips on the pipes. I also suggest "losing" the useless chromium platescosmetic trim false toolbox cover and mounting the catch and on the braket that is exposed. (You will need some longer pipes.)
By Allanfox
It is amazing tight under the seat, will have a look
By jaybie
Hi all,

I've just bought an 2006 Electra X. I'm new to bikes and bike mechanics so I thought I'd do the decent thing and change all the oils and generally show it I care, as part of the learning experience. In advance of doing this, I thought I'd see how much oil was in the sump and see if this machine is prone to wet sumping ( I'm getting an amount of oil coming out of the oil tank breather hose).

Prior to this I ran the engine and it was left for 24hrs before I remembered about leaving the engine TDC. Since then it's stood for 3-4 days at TDC (or rather where the kickstart goes hard).

Having taken the front plug out, 800ml ish came out, this is a bit more than the 30ml I was expecting. I think there are 2 sources; from the oil tank or from the timing chest. On the basis that if the timing chest was leaking it will be near empty by now, I'm checking for an oil tank leak. I've put it at TDC, filled up the oil tank to the high mark and will now leave it overnight and see what's in the sump tomorrow. Hopefully someone will tell me if this is the right way to find out.

Since starting the test I've read Adrian's post a page or two back (viewtopic.php?p=88073#p88073). Can anyone explain to me how, in the Electra X, the oil gets from the timing chest into the crank pin without a quill bolt? I appreciate I could simply take the timing cover off and have a look but I don't have a spare gasket yet and the existing one is rock hard, so I'd be really grateful if someone could explain.

And then lastly, is this something I actually need to worry about? Will the scavenge pump do its job and put the oil back where it should be whilst the engine is running?

Cheers,

JB
By Adrian
The oil feed into the crankshaft is via a spigot which runs in an oil seal in the timing cover. This should prevent any oil in the timing chest from getting to the big end.

However, oil in the timing chest will still find its way into the sump at the bottom of the crankcase.

Unlike the later version of the traditional design of Bullet engine, the Electra-X has no oil seal behind the timing pinion, the timing side mainshaft runs in a hole bored into the crankcase casting before it reaches the timing side main bearing. Timing chest oil leaks past/along the mainshaft and through the bearing into the sump, on mine it certainly did. However, owing to the massive size of the scavenge/return oil pump, any oil in the sump should be quickly slurped up and pumped up through the rockers BEFORE the classic wet-sumping white smoke starts, assuming your oil control rings are in good shape.

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles