This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Adrian
Keep loads of chickens (and hope you're better at putting in fences than the foxes are at borrowing under fences).

Collect at the chicken manure and process it in a digester to recover lots of methane.

Buy an old Lister "D"type stationary engine converted to run on the methane and hook it up to a generator.

A.
By trophyvase
I get the environmental irony of the move to electric vehicles. What I don’t get is how these glaring anomalies evolve and take flight and before you can say ‘hang on a moment’ the whole world is singing the same tune.

But I can see lots of advantages with an electric bike for someone who wants to ride it rather than play with it in the garage. The cost-saving would be considerable. I don’t only mean savings on low tax and low ‘fueling’ costs but the virtually nil need for serving and the costs that go with that.
By Duke of Wybourne.
trophyvase wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:57 pm
aethelric I don't think anything will 'save the planet' - certainly not the pedal cycle!

The cause of the problem - greed - will also bring about the catastrophic end of the problem. Human 'progress' since the year dot has always been focused on 'more for me'. And human nature isn't going to change by 2035!
Well said sir.
By Duke of Wybourne.
trophyvase wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:09 am
I get the environmental irony of the move to electric vehicles. What I don’t get is how these glaring anomalies evolve and take flight and before you can say ‘hang on a moment’ the whole world is singing the same tune.

But I can see lots of advantages with an electric bike for someone who wants to ride it rather than play with it in the garage. The cost-saving would be considerable. I don’t only mean savings on low tax and low ‘fueling’ costs but the virtually nil need for serving and the costs that go with that.
The big problem at the end of the nineteenth century was what to do with the ever increasing amount of horse manure, and paraffin sellers warned the people about the dangers of new fangled electricity. Things change people adapt and get on with it, whether or not it's for better or worse.
By singleminded
As the electric vehicle bandwagon gets rolling in a big way, there will be no 'cheap fuelling' for much longer.

Electric cars need special charging points at home. You can bet that the government will insist on separate metering of these charging points in order to 'charge' a higher price. The loss of fuel duty will have to be made up from somewhere!
By Duke of Wybourne.
Bike for long journeys, bus pass for everything else. By the time 2035 comes around and I'm still able to ride an electric bike I'll be delighted. Plus, what's wrong with stashing an old Iron barrel Bullet, you'll still be able to run the world's most re-buildable motorcycle after 2035, and I'm sure the forum host will continue to supply the necessary to keep them going. I remember the same "shock horror" conjecture when 2 strokes got the elbow, you can still run an oil burner MZ without the need to "hang up your helmet". :D
By windmill john
Adrian wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:47 pm
Keep loads of chickens (and hope you're better at putting in fences than the foxes are at borrowing under fences).
A.

Because we’re all going to end up eating Trump’s chlorinated chicken if we don’t!

Do not get me started on the reasons everything is too late :x :x
By Presto
BMW’s highly sophisticated E-powered concept bike has a range of 200 km and a ‘fast charge’ time of 30 mins.

Although we’re not told the cost of the battery, it looks like something that won’t be cheap!!!

And as the article [Motorcycle Sport and Leisure] touches on - what about charging in the Black Forest or, for most of us, the Highlands of Scotland, the west coast of Ireland, the wilds of mid-Wales, or the vast wastes of the Fenlands?! :roll:
By trophyvase
for that matter what about charging in India or in the central African countries or any other 'remote' place
is the way emissions are going to be reduced by depriving the majority of the world's population of the opportunity of wheeled transport unless pulled by an animal

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles