This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By vince
Hi, I registered my first "Indian" in 1975 . The same problem then . Its recorded as a 700cc Royal enfield two wheeled bicycle! I love to find out how DVLA would deal with a 1961 Chief as they were sold as Matchless Indians. ' Whats in a name'? Vince
By Rushour
I don't wish to stir the pot here but what about skodas - VW cars badged and registered as Skoda - Seat? - years ago - Peugeot / Fiat vans were identical but badged differently - its not such an odd concept these days....
By Jools G
As far as DVLA are concerned, the badge on the tank is completely irrelevant.

If you want to re-register an old vehicle that's either lost its original number or has never been UK registered, it's the manufacturer that's the key thing that DVLA will base their acceptance/rejection upon; DVLA's acceptable evidence for dating a vehicle can only come from the concern who were actually the registered maker at the time the vehicle was made, or a DVLA-recognised authority in those cases where the manufacturer has ceased trading.

Neither Indian or Matchless actually built the 'Chief' models, the owners of these trading names were merely importers of re-badged machines, and as such have no bearing when it comes to DVLA-related matters.

Sticking a 'Suzuki GT750' badge on a Kawasaki H2 will never make it a Suzuki.....(and it won't handle any better either).
By Boxerman
Skoda and VW were in cahoots long, long before they made it public. As for the Fiat, Peugeot, and Citroen alliance, that is pretty much common knowledge.

Frank
By trophyvase
Oh dear Rushour you’ve touched a nerve!

Skoda were the butt of every comic in the pub. But having owned 2 from new I know the laugh was on the mockers. They were far better than they were given credit for. And not like Ladas. It’s true they were ‘basic’ and all the better for it. Easy to work on, reliable, durable, parts if needed were easily available, cheap to buy and simple to fit. And with a 24 speed windscreen wiper!! As value for money they were unbeatable. For endless years they won their class in the RAC rally – in fact 17 years running! And, no, they weren’t the only entries in that class! In many ways they were the Royal Enfield Bullets of the car world. Or maybe more the MZ of the car world, also the butt of every joker but against all the odds having a completion record in ISDT and road racing any maker would be proud to boast of. [The clue is in the user name!!] Why do you think VW bought Skoda? Do you imagine they would have bought Lada?!
By Jools G
The 136 Rapide version of the old pre-VW Skodas was a wolf in sheep's clothing, much under-rated. Skodas beat everything else out of sight in their rallying class, as has been pointed out.

Ladas had a poor reputation in their day, mostly undeserved. They were tough cars and gave good service; they had the best heaters of any car I've ever been in!
By Rushour
Vince - this is getting silly and not answering your question - I would refer you back to the first - and probably most informative reply and consult Graham Scarth at the owners club - what he doesn't know about all things RE and indeed Indian - ain't worth knowing.
By trophyvase
You're right Rushour. But that was the first answer Pete gave. it's all part of the pleasure of a forum that it doesn't always stick to the 'sensible' answer. Who knows what we may learn. :P
By vince
I think there is confusion with manufacturer and brand name. Matchless was the brand but the manufacturer was Associated Motorcycles. Ditto BMC and Brockhouse. My old Triton was registered as such. So where do we go from here!

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles