This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
How to set the Tappets?

I have read the manual, which is a little vague. It doesn't seem to take into account the play in the movement of the tappets.

At which point in the movement of the tappet is the point at which they are set. Help please.
Just as Vince says - turn the engine over until one valve is fully depressed (e.g. left hand inlet valve) and then adjust its partner (left hand exhaust valve). Then repeat for the other 3 valves.

The MM runs with no clearance between adjuster and valve stem when set cold. Slacken the locknut and screw the valve adjuster in until you just feel it contact the stem; back it off a shade, then tighten. Check after you've tightened the locknut that it's neither too loose nor too tight (grab hold of the rocker and see if it moves or not - too tight and it won't move at all, too loose and you'll feel it 'tapping' as it contacts the valve stem).

You'll soon get the hang of it!
Thanks for the advice, after talking to my self, the bike and the tappets all day, I think they are correctly set.

The distributor has a badly damaged distributor shaft and action plate part no No. LU/425596. Our host does not have the part, and I have not been able to source one. I do not want to breach the protocol of talking about purchasing parts on the forum. So would anyone who may be able to help me contact me at pjdawe@bigpond.net.au
Could you post a photo of the damage? Most problems should be surmountable.

My own MM's distributor shaft and plate weren't in the best shape either when I first had it (DKX2-type). A mate at work wielded the TIG to make a very neat repair joining the two back together and eliminating the wobble.

I've also used the smaller-type Lucas distributor as well, which I think were common to some Triumphs?
Hello All, I trust that every body is keeping safe and well.

I am starting to install the loom. Most of it is pretty straight forward, but I do have some questions.

The rectifier recently purchased from our host has 4 connecting points 2 yellow on each side, 1 blue and 1 red.
IMG_0082 (Large).JPG
I have the wiring diagram coloured by "Scalyback" which seems to be the most common on the internet, and an info sheet from Hitchcocks whic show wire sheath colours, type of connector and position on the bike.
The wiring diagram shows 3 positions on the rectifier.

The info sheet shows 4 connections on the rectifier. The wiring loom from our host has 4 wires, one of which is red with a loop connection, saying rectifier positive.

There are no markings on the rectifier to show positive or negative.

Help please.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles