This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By McMurdo
Hi again Bullet gurus! Can someone tell me the size of hex that I need for removing the forks from the headlamp casque?

I'm starting on the upgrade to Bertie's suspension and I've fallen at the first hurdle :?
By vince
The internal hex is the same as the footrest bar, remember from above you undo the other way. Vince
By McMurdo
Can someone tell me the size? I have the wheels off and the stand lifting the bike is resting on the footrest bar so it's tricky to get at!
By Wheaters
It's half inch hexagon. Agreed, same diameter as the hexagonal footrest support bar, as it happens. Use a 1/2" AF or adjustable spanner to turn it.

If you use a length of plain hexagon bar, I suggest you wrap a piece of split rubber tube around it, just above the lower end and hold that in place with a jubilee clip, so when it slips from your grip it doesn't completely drop down inside the fork tube....no need ask how I found that out. :oops:

Or you can buy part #ST25108 from our hosts.
By stinkwheel
1/2" is near as damnit 13mm so if you get a long-ish M8 bolt, you can slide a washer onto it then lock two nuts together onto the shaft and use it to unscrew the forks with a spanner. The hex on the bolt is the same size as the hex on the stanchion. The washer stops you losing it down inside the fork.

Or get an even longer M8 bolt and put a 90 degree bend in it near the head so you can use it as a key.
By Wheaters
I seem to remember someone on the forum saying they unsuccessfully tried to get a 13mm hex to fit in the fork tube.

1/2" = 12.7mm.
By PeteF
I used an 8mm bolt - just had to file it down a bit.
Put a bend in it and used a length of tube as a cheater.
THE MOST important thing to remember is that you are working from the "bottom" of the thread so it's clockwise to undo it.
This is a bit counter intuitive and can catch you out. (ask me how I know :( )
By stinkwheel
Wheaters wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:44 pm
I seem to remember someone on the forum saying they unsuccessfully tried to get a 13mm hex to fit in the fork tube.

1/2" = 12.7mm.
I've used the M8 nut and bolt trick on both my bullets.

Wasn't that one that had trouble a UCE model which had some oddball shaped hole?

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles