This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By mart
Thanks-I spoke to Graham and it is a Clipper,original!y registered in Chester, so well spotted BW ! No paperwork but I'll try the V62 route and see how I get on. If not Graham suggested getting a certified copy of the original log book from Cheshire records office.
Failing that V55/5 though it would mean building the bike up with period engine, which I don't have. Cheers
By Adrian
It looks like 1959/60 was the changeover period for these, B.W. Our hosts' rather fuzzy catalogue pictures show what looks like 19" on the '59 Clipper (perhaps still with the cast iron cylinder head?)and 17"on the '60 Clipper.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... inging-Arm#

Mart, if you must put an original type engine together for a dating certificate, I'm pretty certain our hosts have some period Clipper crankcases (same as the Bullet) in their used parts section, maybe a gearbox too. If you can't get an iron cylinder head spray an alloy Bullet one black! You could of course put a tuned 350 Redditch engine together that would happily keep up with anything a 500 Indian Bullet in standard trim to could put out.

A.
By mart
Nice idea to build a tuned Reditch 350 but my plan was to fit my Indian 500 motor. I should have thought it through a bit more and checked the reg. You know what its like when your finger is hovering over the mouse button 2 mins before the end of the auction.
By John-M
Persist with your DVLA application, just because the number isn't on the live system, doesn't mean that it isn't on their archived system.
By Adrian
You could even use a Redditch 350 as the basis for a Tollgate Classics 441 conversion. Judging by our hosts' used engine prices, I think you'd have no problem selling that 500 engine - yes I **know ** you want to keep it but you could consider your other options too.

Or how about this? Get a V5C on that Clipper frame and I'll swap it back for your old 500 frame! :mrgreen:

OK. that maybe is pushing it a bit too far...

A.
By mart
Good point John M, have posted the V62 so we will see. Thanks for your cheeky offer Adrian ! I'll think about it..,.................... have thought about it, no but thanks anyway cheers
By Chris Tindal
Mart, I’d still try with your Indian motor. You’ve got the original rolling chassis which adds up points. The last time I did this I remember reading that the engine doesn’t need to be original, but needs to be of the ‘original type’.

Failing this you could build a lot of your Indian 500 parts into Clipper cases, our host has loads. You could get an engineer to open the crankcase mouth and move the studs to turn them into 500 cases, it’s the same casting. I’ve done this before and works perfectly well. You’d need a Redditch crank, but that’s about it.
By Davedup
There is a 350 engine clipper for sale where the frame came from.
By Adrian
The last time I did this I remember reading that the engine doesn’t need to be original, but needs to be of the ‘original type’.
Perfect excuse for a Big Head engine...

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles