This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
I am re-building a 1956 350 Bullet engine and have noticed that there are three R's stamped beneath the timing case in a triangular arrangement. These are not present on my other 1956 engine.

RR
R

Anyone come across this before and more importantly does anyone know what it indicates?
I suspect that it is an indication that the engine has been reconditioned in the past, but wonder if it relates to a specific modification or oversize part.
Complete stab in the dark, ww2 and later Harley wd 45 side valves were sometimes stamped 'BOR' which I believe stood for return to Base Overhaul and Rebuild. So 'RRR' could possibly be 'Redditch Return Recondition' - complete shot in dark!! Expect someone will have the definitive answer!
Unfortunately I don't have the origional timing cover.
I have noticed that the drive side crankcase has "20 DA 5"stamped on the inside, I don't remember seeing anything in this area on my other engine. Frustrating realy as they all must have a meaning.
It is accademic realy as it will be getting a fresh set of bearings, I think it has had a very hard life. When I split the cases there was half an inch of black treacle like oil in the bottom of the oil tank, as well as a fair coating of dried oil on the outside, so I doubt the bottom end has had much lubrication.
You may be onto something there, during the cold war maybe the military were developing ways of tackling Russian Bear bombers and any RE engines failing quality control were designated 'AAA' - Anti Aircraft Ammunition?!??

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles