This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Jools G
After the tie-up with Indian, Royal Enfield supplied 250, 350 & 500 singles to the USA, plus 700 and 750 twins - but curiously not the 500 Meteor Minor post the Indian-badged 'Tomahawk' model. That doesn't of course mean that none found their way over, just that they don't appear in the export lists. Quite possibly the 500 Meteor Minor twins just didn't cut the mustard in the USA market which, as we all know, favoured larger capacity twins.

Many wore different cycle parts and were known by names peculiar to the US market. I've never seen any USA-specific parts lists myself (apart from those for the Interceptor in our host's parts list inventory).

The USA's enthusiasm for off-road riding seems to have pushed most of the export bikes in that direction, even the 700 Constellation, which gained the appellation of 'Interceptor Scrambles' in its off-road guise. I imagine it must have been a bit of a handful!
By Jools G
The bike in the video has been modified with the addition of the Dealers 'Sports Kit' as the owner points out. The original spec Constellation Scrambles wouldn't have been equipped with lights, speedo or front mudguard - though weirdly they kept the large valenced rear mudguard. Later versions had the 'Fury' type of rear seat subframe and blade-type mudguard (as worn by the very first UK Connies in 1958) and a blade front mudguard, plus twin carbs of (I believe) 1 3/16" choke size, and no silencers.

The later UK spec Constellations gave up the single TT carb and adopted the twin carb layout, but with a reduced choke size of 1 1/16"; however the inlet manifold size of 1 3/16" remained unchanged - poor practice from the viewpoint of ultimate performance.

The USA spec scrambles spec models also had the Super Meteor type of steering damper rather than the more abrieviated Constellation type, presumably because it was easier to get hold of whilst riding off-road.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles