This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By stinkwheel
Occurrs to me that I last changed the gearbox snot in the 4-speed box on my 350 bullet a good 30k+ miles ago when I repolaced a broken gear cluster.

It's all working ok but I should probably change it.

What i noticed last time is that nowhere near all the grease came out, despite getting it good and hot. On stripping, there was still a whole lot of disgusting, stinking stuff still in there that had to be scraped out with a gloved hand.

Wondering if I should give it a flush out before refilling this time because I don't want to strip it when it's working fine but it would be nice to get all the snot and sluther out of it before the tedious process of getting the new thick grease in through a tiny hole (when I have a huge hole to put my really runny primary drive oil in through, thanks enfield).

If so, what would be a good flushing agent? I'm torn between some heated up, cheap car engine oil and paraffin. Or possibly paraffin followed by cheap engine oil?
By Daiwiskers
I would have thought that paraffin would be too thin engine oil would probably work better if you bolt it back together then run it before draining it but that would probably make a right mess
If I had the end cover off the gearbox I would get out as much as I could then empty a couple of cans of brake cleaner in there then refill with lithium grease (put some engine oil in it when it's back together just to make sure there's no dry areas)
Blue grease works fine in my old Albion box
More expense I know but that's what I would do cheers Dai
By stinkwheel
Now that's an interesting idea. Get it hot. Overfill with engine oil and go for a short run to mix it up. Then drain. That should significantly thin down the grease that's in there.

I can't think of any serious consequences of doing this other than the possability of it leaking a bit? Then wipe-down, flush with oil and refill.

My understanding of why they use grease instead of oil in there is because it's just not very well sealed as standard? I have HP90 in the 612s 4-speed gearbox because it's had a seal kit fitted and it doesn't leak.
By Bullet Whisperer
I would use diesel to flush it out and then put 20 / 50 oil in there - it shouldn't leak. Grease saps much of what little power is available, as the gears have to stir it around as they spin. I have never used grease in any RE gearboxes, British or Indian and have never had oil leak problems as a result of using it, but each to their own, I guess.
By Daiwiskers
If it's got a seal kit it shouldn't leak too much if you over fill
But if it does leak badly it could get onto the back tyre
Listen to Paul mine did leak (not badly) but there's no seal kit fitted
In the Harley I use a synthetic gear oil works really well smooth as butter
Cheers Dai
By Clement
My gearbox was plastered with thick, black grease almost impossible to get out, so I topped the box up with 100-200 mls of kerosene at a time; intermittent short rides to dislodge bulk of the grease which came out in fat black bloops; had to repeat this 6 times until all grease dislodged; then filled with 20W50 - this is on a 2003 C.I kickstart Bullet with sealing bearings. Clement.
By Beezabryan
Our 28 year old Bullet has the same black grease it left the factory with though I did top up with a small amount of 20/50 oil after I'd replaced the broken kick start pawl back in 1997.
Can't be a*sed to mend something that ain't broke, life is too short now.
By stinkwheel
Trouble is, I'm also getting problems with the gearbox picking up the kickstart and vice-versa (it occasionally engages first when you kickstart it). It's that iron layshaft bush. I'm really trying to put off stripping it to fit a bronze one and adequate lubrication can only help.

I drained the gearbox last night and the grease is still sat in the middle of the drip tray like a cow pat! That's having added 200ml of engine oil and gone for a ride to stir it in.
By John-M
I intend replacing the grease in my Indian gearbox in the near future, I will be taking the end cover off and getting in there with a paint brush and lots of diesel and possibly compressed air.
My brief flirt with grease is over, I will be re-filling with gearbox oil.
By Presto
I recognise BW's experience on this question - and any Bullet related question.
BUT.

But 1000's of Bullets have grease in the gearbox and I can think of no reason to use oil with the high possibility of leaks.
The grease can stay in the box for life. Of course it's horrible stuff. But aesthetics isn't what this is about!
The 4 speed gearbox in these bikes is subject to low stresses and grease is perfectly adequate.

If they do need refilling - which they shouldn't, just topping-up to level - then it helps to use a sealant gun or an icing bag idea. The stuff won't pour. Which is why 'draining' the box is a waste of effort.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles