This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Mattthumper
Hi, I’m rebuilding my front forks. I’ve gotten to the point where they are removed and the circlip above the top oil seals have been removed. I have bought new oil seals (from our host of course : - ) and I need to pull out the old ones so I don’t really care how I get them out - read, damaged. This is a 2006 Electra X. TIA Matt
By stinkwheel
how to guide from our hosts:

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... f&_xt=.pdf

You need that special protective steel cap to go over the top of the fork slider to pry against. Then it's simple brute force with a big screwdriver and maybe judicious aplication of heat with a hairdrier/heat gun. Failure to use said tool or something improvised to do the same jobwill almost certainly result in disaster.

I can lend you mine if you're in Cumbria.
By Mattthumper
Stinkwheel, thanks a bunch. This is a lifesaver. You helped me many months ago trying to diagnose the problem (I rebuilt the shocks but there was no dampening - they felt like solid steel bars). I’m not sure how I did it first time around but this answers my questions. Thanks again, Matt. (Btw, I’m in Virginia, USA... )
By PeteF
You can improvise the proper tool with big jubilee clips (hose clips over there?)
If you don't support the top of the slider it can crack.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles