This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By McMurdo
Hi all, pulled apart the rear end of Bertie my Enfield to measure for trail shocks this afternoon. Was surprised when I removed the current shocks that the swing-arm didn't move. It feels to be on rubber mounts that hold it in position but allow a limited amount of movement.

My newbie question - is this how it's supposed to be? It's unlike anything I've met when fixing a history of Japanese bikes.

2nd question - if this is the way Enfield intended, how do I reset the swingarm mounts so that they are in the right position for the 330mm shocks?

Cheers

Stuart
By Rushour
Hi, - The swinging arm is mounted on silent block bushes which allow a certain amount of movement up and down as with many Jap bikes, you do have the set the swinging arm in a neutral position when installing before tightening the spindle and there is a tool available to buy if you are unsure.
By McMurdo
Thanks Rushour, I had a look in our hosts catalogue - is the tool just a bar with holes 300mm apart?
By McMurdo
Ignore that question - I see one in the manual. I’ll need to work out where the midpoint of the new shocks will be.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles