This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Wheaters
My 350 is slightly modified and tuned (top end only, all done by myself) and it runs very nicely. It has a standard Indian bottom end with 18/46 sprockets (i.e. slightly faster revving/mph) and "Trials Universal" off-road tyres front and back.

I went out on a road run consisting of four bikes today.

Andy A led the way on his 19 reg 535 Continental, followed by myself, then a 2015 Ducati 800 Scrambler with a brand new Constellation 650 bringing up the rear.

I was pleased to see how well my bike managed to keep up with the 535. Even better, the rider of the Continental has since messaged me to say that I was leaving his mate's Ducati well behind on twisty Derbyshire roads. :D
By stinkwheel
You already know the answer to if there should be 1/2" of play on the timing shaft...

So the question is, is the flywheel still good or has that play damaged it? The drive shaft on my 350 crank was loose (in all axes, just being held by the key) and it had ovalled the hole in the flywheel. You can't buy seperate standard flywheels so while it's a bolt together crank and you can buy new shafts relatively cheaply, it was scrap. I couldn't be bothered waiting to find a second hand crank with a dead big end to scavenge (they come up periodically) so I had to go for a recon crank.

Or maybe it's the main bearings? I would budget for replacing these with good quality european/japanese anyway while you're in there. I've stripped 3 bullet engines so far (two 500cc and one 350) and all three had badly peened main bearing inner races.

By Satpal
stinkwheel wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:00 am
You already know the answer to if there should be 1/2" of play on the timing shaft...

So the question is, is the flywheel still good or has that play damaged it? The drive shaft on my 350 crank was loose (in all axes, just being held by the key) and it had ovalled the hole in the flywheel. You can't buy seperate standard flywheels so while it's a bolt together crank and you can buy new shafts relatively cheaply, it was scrap. I couldn't be bothered waiting to find a second hand crank with a dead big end to scavenge (they come up periodically) so I had to go for a recon crank.

Or maybe it's the main bearings? I would budget for replacing these with good quality european/japanese anyway while you're in there. I've stripped 3 bullet engines so far (two 500cc and one 350) and all three had badly peened main bearing inner races.

I am still waiting for timing pinion tool to arrive in mail. Untill that i am not sure what it is. Could be a shot bearing. I will be replacing all bearing with European ones. Also thinking of putting oil seal behind pinion. Currently it has older style shaft.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles