This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Hercules
Hi Dudes, This is Selvam from India. I want your help to find , what model of the engine is this? And also , which year it came. Any info will be helpful. Small info from my side, it is 500CC and has a Strap for Lucas MO1 magneto.

And the barrel looks alloy made to me, but not sure and has door for Taco drive

Thanks for your help.

Selvam P
Attachments
500CC Engine1.jpg
500CC Engine.jpg
By Daiwiskers
Can't help identifying the engine

But the flat tank Harley looks interesting
By Daiwiskers
Not sure the head and barrel belong together looks like a G2 bottom end.

Could be wrong I often am Dai
By Hercules
Only number 3500 is written on the crankcase. Thanks
Rushour wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:01 pm
The engine number will help - can you read it ? its certainly quite rare with the Rev counter drive.
By Hercules
Ya. Its same like 350 G2 bottom. But it is 500 Crankcase with option for Magdynamo
Daiwiskers wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:51 pm
Not sure the head and barrel belong together looks like a G2 bottom end.

Could be wrong I often am Dai
By Adrian
Selvam,

I can tell you that that is almost certainly the engine is from a Woodsman. A what???

This is the 500 export version of the UK Bullet originally sold only in the USA under the Indian name (Indian as in native American, not Indian as in made in India).

The alloy cylinder was standard for this model. Note the ten-hole timing cover with the rev-counter drive, also the large metal strap behind the cylinder for the Lucas magdyno (no provision for an alternator on the crankshaft), which puts this one at around 1957 vintage.

The complete bike would looked a lot like this one from 1958 apart from the magdyno. The 1958 version had an alternator for the lights and magneto for the ignition.

https://bringatrailer.com/2010/12/21/en ... -woodsman/

I hope this helps.

A.
By Grabof54
Selvam,
# 3500 crankcases are from a 500cc Fury dispatched from Redditch in January 1961.
The short crankshaft without alternator provision is presumably original as this bike did not have lights. If the cylinder is alloy, it is also original and probably the piston within it.
The cylinder head is not original and presumably came from an Indian badged Woodsman or Westerner, the Fury always being fitted with the "big head" with integral rocker boxes.
The Fury only ever had a magneto so the long magdyno strap is not correct, those "with lights" having an alternator.
What is the number of the RE frame behind the engine in the photos?
Graham Scarth (REOC chairman)

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles