This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Allanfox
As part of removing the starter motor on my 2005 AVL Electra X I am looking at options with the inner primary case. I am considering carrying out a lumpectomy and removing the spur gear case and welding a patch in. I am capable of doing the work but has anybody actually done this? I see it mentioned but would like to see how it was done and where the issues may lie! TIA
By Adrian
Yes, it has been done. I have a picture of one somewhere and will post it later.

A.
By Allanfox
Thank you, would like to see one!
By mauri
unless you are a skilled mechanic, i would advise not to do this yourself!

as mentionend on our host site:

doing this with the engine mounted is a sure way to damage your engine casings!
idealy this is done whit the casings split.
be aware that the SEAL AND ADAPTOR PLATE must have equal tension, so not to have a leaking primairy or early wear on said seal
By Allanfox
Agree, thus considering modifying the existing that does fit!
By Wheaters
You could perhaps fit the inner case from a kickstart only 350 Electra.
By Adrian
The 350 Electra inner case usually doesn't have the hole for the 500 Electra's left-hand gear change shaft, not a problem if your Electra-X has already been right-foot shift converted, but you'd still need to re-drill and tap the crankcase for the K/S inner cover's mounting studs. Not a major job, you can do it with the engine in the frame.

Modifying the existing inner cover, if you can, might be easier as the 350 Electra inner covers don't exactly grow on trees. I can't remember whose this was, but you might be able to make a neater job than this.

A.
Attachments
primary.jpg
By Adrian
Just for completeness, here is a 350 Electra inner cover fitted to an Electra-X, the crankcase was drilled and tapped in situ with no damage.

A.
Attachments
DSCN6968.JPG
By stinkwheel
Or you could fit a mechanical siren in place of the starter motor so it sounds like a stukka bomber. :lol:
By Allanfox
Now your talking!

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles