This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Allanfox
Adrian, thank you for the photos, first one I have seen done and agree looks like a quick job but don'r think it wold be hard to be a bit tidier, any patch should fit aligned to the case (not welded on top) but maybe maybe there is a reason why it can't be done like I imagine, will know when I get mine down and have a look! The 350 cases look nice but my bike is staying left foot, I think they have a boss that can drilled to take the gear shaft?

Anyway thanks for the responses, had a good chat with out host yesterday and am going to do a good examination before deciding which way to go.

Time x cost x hassle = back on the road!!! :-)
By Adrian
I posted elsewhere that RE India did make a 5 speed version of their 350 Electra in K/S as well as E/S versions, but that the K/S 5 speed version's inner primary cover - which DOES take the left foot shift - is pretty much on the unobtanium list, even in India, and the 4 speed inner covers are hard enough to find.

If you do go down the lumpectomy and weld-up route, we'd like to see the results.

A.
By Allanfox
Will do, one of my reasons for the question if anyone had done this was to see if I could find out which welding roads were used (Si or Mg) and which alloy was used for the patch. I have welded lots of damaged cases in the past (ever distant) and have experienced when they are finally polished the weld/repair stands out as the alloy polished a bit brighter of duller. I think castings are pure aluminium so would need to ensure I used the right materials so the final polish matched.
By papasmurf
Allanfox wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:18 am
I think castings are pure aluminium so would need to ensure I used the right materials so the final polish matched.
If the castings are of Indian origin they won't be pure aluminium.
By Allanfox
Good point, I was thinking of old British cases!
By Adrian
Could you do a small trial weld on eg the back of the inner chaincase or somewhere else where it wont be seen, to check what grade of aluminium alloy you're dealing with?

A.
By Allanfox
good idea, would work well if I could get an accident damaged case to practice on, might be able to cut a piece out to fill the gap?
By Allanfox
Attachments
F4A744FE-306F-415B-B52C-73217E9BCE37.jpeg
Looks like it has been to the dentist!!!!
F4A744FE-306F-415B-B52C-73217E9BCE37.jpeg (23.81 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
By Adrian
Yes, I also have one like that from my old Electra-X. Whirr-bang-crunch.

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles