This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By TexasChris
Morning folks,
I've got a 2000 Indian 500, that spent most of its life sitting in a garage (someone else's) so only just approaching 3000 miles from new.
While checking/adjusting pushrods this weekend, I think I have identified at least 1 bent pushrod. I have also started to notice a slightly weep of oil from around the head gasket. So while I'm in there inspecting/replacing rods/rockers I thought I'd check/re-torque the head bolts? I'm sure I read somewhere that that is common practice (relatively) early in a RE motor's life? Did I imagine that?
I just wanted to double check torque figures...I've read from 19 to 24 foot pounds force? And 6 head bolts right? 2 under each rocker cover, and then the ones either side of the motor? Is there a sequencing order for tightening the bolts?
Thanks y'all,
Chris
By stinkwheel
I re-torque my head bolts at 5, 50 and 500 miles after a rebuild.

Our hosts recommend 22ft/lb. There is a recommended tightening order but in general, you should always work crosswise even if one isn't specified. So front right, back left, front left, back right, center left, centre right.

There is a picture on the following information sheet.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... 2&_xt=.pdf
By Daiwiskers
With me it depends on the head gasket used if I use a composite gasket I only retighten if and when it starts mist oil
Copper gasket that has been anealed I with nip up after a short test ride and left to cool then again next time I have the rocker covers off

How tight opinions vary on that one they have been known to pull the studs out of the crankcase so try the lower setting first then you can work up to the higher setting if it leaks or mists

Hope this helps Dai

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles