This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Dan O
Hello, I have a C5 and went out for a ride yesterday. On the way back I had an issue where the left hand indicator stayed on but was not flashing. I had this issue before and juggling the cable under the mudguard resolved the issue. I did this again but when I put the ignition back on there was no power at all. Not sure what the problem is. The level on the battery was a little low so have topped it up with distilled water and left it on the Optimate. Has anyone had a similar problem? Would be keen to get any advice before getting it recovered to the dealer.
By papasmurf
Rewire the mudguard wiring. When I did that I also ran the wires about the mudguard use trailer cable. (Also have you checked all the fuses.)
By stinkwheel
As above. I'd strongly suspect there is a loose, broken or chaffed wire which was making intermittent contact. Your last wiggle probably moved it into contact with a piece of bodywork or an earth wire causing a short circuit and popping the fuse.

So check if the fuse is blown. That proves the theory. Then you need to find and repair the damaged wiring. A visual inspection will usually reveal an area where the wiring has dropped down and rubbed on the tyre or chaffed on the mudguard.

If you are struggling, temporarily fitting a bulb in place of the blowing fuse will add some load to the circuit. It lights up when there is a short downstream of it instead of blowing the fuse.
By TexasChris
I'm no expert...but I'd imagine fuses would be the first place to start. You know you've got a dodgy/loose wire/connection for that indicator. Totally feasible that its shorted/popped a fuse. And if you went from "everything working" to "absolutely nothing" that sounds quite "fuse-y" to me.
If not, maybe a dead battery?
By Daiwiskers
Firstly welcome to the forum

As others have said blown fuse due to wiring under back mudguard
Dai
By papasmurf
papasmurf wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:55 am
Rewire the mudguard wiring. When I did that I also ran the wires above the mudguard use trailer cable. (Also have you checked all the fuses.)
By Dan O
Yes, it was one of the fuses. I swapped it with one that was ok and electrics worked and bike started again. Will check the wiring later. Thanks guys.
By Dan O
I managed to have a better look last night and can see the cable is chaffed as it comes out from the mudguard under the seat so this must have caused the short. Is it worth trying to repair or best to just get a new one to the back lights?
By Daiwiskers
I would run a new cable
Have taken mine along the mudguard stay then back under mudguard at the back end
The only place it can touch the tyre is there unlikely but it's fairly close
Better would have been to keep it on the outside for the full run
I will be drilling two small holes at the back end of the mudguard and cable tie it up

Hope this helps Dai

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles