This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Squadron
I have a 2019 Classic 500 C5. I have been thinking about fitting a Dobeck EJK as it seems to be a simpler option to the Power Commander. I know the EJK has been successfully fitted to C5s up to year 2016 but have been told that from 2017 the ECU became much more sophisticated to meet euro iv specs and that the O2 sensor can’t be removed or jumped out as it was on previous models to allow the EJK to be fitted. I am hoping that someone on this forum might know if this is correct or may have found a way to fit the EJK to the euro iv 500 thanks in advance.
Cheers
Garry
By Dan H
Squadron wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:02 am
I have a 2019 Classic 500 C5. I have been thinking about fitting a Dobeck EJK as it seems to be a simpler option to the Power Commander. I know the EJK has been successfully fitted to C5s up to year 2016 but have been told that from 2017 the ECU became much more sophisticated to meet euro iv specs and that the O2 sensor can’t be removed or jumped out as it was on previous models to allow the EJK to be fitted. I am hoping that someone on this forum might know if this is correct or may have found a way to fit the EJK to the euro iv 500 thanks in advance.
Cheers
Garry
I have not used the Dobeck kit personally, but as I understand it is a fuel controller only and has a limited broad adjustment of the fuelling in block areas. The Euro 4 + bikes are more sophisticated, and cannot be fooled with a simple resistor in place of the oxygen sensor like the older bikes to give a constant reading. I think this will be a limiting factor on the Dobeck kit as the fuelling adjustment is made over the entire range of rpm and load, and it cannot specify to certain areas. I expect this may cause running issues as it tries to work against the oxygen sensor which will be trying to make adjustments back to its target AFR figure when the Dobek is trying to richen the mixture.

For the Euro 4 bikes, I see it as 3 options for trying to make changes to the fuelling through the original fuel injection, and depending on your needs and what you are trying to achieve will determine what is best suited.

- The Power Commanders are the most advanced setup, they control fuelling and ignition timing in virtually all areas and can interrupt the oxygen sensors signal to control this area. There are PCV's out there at lower costs which do not include all the components and only have limited control over the fuelling, more of a halfway house, so just something to be aware of and will depend on the source you are purchasing from.

- The PowerTronic, which is slightly more simple and lower cost, but offers control over the ignition timing and the majority of the fuelling area, all though the oxygen sensor will still have some control with this setup. Its cheaper than the PCV and allows for two maps to be stored on the unit and can be swapped between these "on the fly". The unit for the C5 is exactly the same as the Himalayan, often not advertised for the Bullets but completely compatible and the same fitment.

- Finally, the BoosterPlug as the most simple and cheapest alternative. This can only have an effect on the fuelling, but is very simple to install and has no adjustment to ignition timing, but is a lot more limited in its adjustment and does not allow for any user input (may be seen as a positive!), but does help to richen the mixture in certain areas.

Perhaps if you explain the setup of your bike and what you are trying to achieve others may be able to advise which might be most suitable to your individual needs?
By Squadron
Thanks everyone for your reply. The three suggestions by Dan H in particular.

What I am trying to achieve is to compensate for the free flowing header pipe and free flowing muffler as sold by our host.

Not being computer literate I don’t really want to get involved with the Power Commander or similar as I would not be able to program it. That is why the ETK was so attractive to me as it comes pre programmed and is easy to adjust with push buttons and no computer required.

The third suggestion of the booster plug sounds simpler. Does anyone have any experience with this and if it is effective in compensating for changes to the exhaust like I am proposing.

Thanks and Regards
Garry
OK, not many replies but after reading Dan H’s post I followed up on the booster plug both on this and other sites and think it might be a good option. Apparently around 6% increase in fuelling at certain parts of the loop cycle, mainly for limited periods, mostly during throttle transitions that will probably assist acceleration and smoother running. Anyway I have ordered one from Hitchcock’s. Thanks to those who replied. :D
By Haggis
If you buy a PCV from Hitchcock's they have various maps for different combinations of exhausts and air filters. Tell them what you have and they will load an appropriate map for you.
You don't have to get techy and geeky, just plug into your bike and go.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles