This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By McMurdo
Hi all, I'm using/abusing my Bullet 350 on the mud and rock trails that abound in Yorkshire and I could really do with better rear shocks. I've been amazed at the standard units but my backside says something with more compliance and a longer stroke would be welcome.

Could the dirt gurus of the forum offer some insight into what works for genteel green-laning (apart from buying a more suitable steed)?

Stu
By stinkwheel
I took a chance on some cheapo oriental shocks, listed in a multitude of colours and lengths on a popular internet auction site. I went up to 12.5" just to give me more travel/spring for fitting my trailer. Could probably stand being longer still for offroad purposes without affecting steering geometry too much. Just remember jacking up the back tightens the rake angle and will make the bike twitchier handling. That said, there is much more rider sag with the longer but softer springs so the final ride height is fairly close to standard. I guess if you go up to a 21" front, you've got another inch to play with anyway.

Only real modification I did was to re-centre the swingarm bushes... Oh yeah, the brake rod also fouled the pillion pegs at the longer extension so I took them off. May be an MOT issue if you have a double seat.

They are now in their third year.

Preload adjustable and I could in theory fiddle with the gas pressure for damping (but I haven't). Absolute lottery in terms of spring rate etc though. I got ones recommended for a Japanese 250 which seems roughly the right ballpark (fairly soft springs for longer travel). They came with a selection of different diameter ends.

Can't really fault them for less than the price of a tyre and they have taken some abuse including long distances with a trailer and some light greenlaning.

Best pic I have of them is on this rough mockup I did when looking at putting it into more of a trials trim.

By ChrisD
Stinkwheel. I tried this with a pair of the same length Endurance shocks (looking very similar to the ones you fitted). Apart from the pillion footrest contact I found the center stand had to be higher by ~1.5cms otherwise the wheel contacted the ground when on the stand. The chain play setting needed to be ~55-60mms when on the stand so that the slack was correct for the usual riding weight. That meant that if I rode over a steep bump the rear wheel dropped, then the full slack was available and the chain could jump off the rear sprocket. I also realised the swinging arm bush was being forced to travel a longer arc and was liable to being damaged - so after a few thousand kms I put the old shocks back.
Now I remember why I did that swap in the first place and must seek better shocks again. Cheers, ChrisD
By McMurdo
Thanks both, I was thinking of having longer shocks but it sounds like that causes more issues than it's worth.

BTW here is a picture of "Dirty Bertie"

P1070058.JPG

SW, I see that you are using the rear footrests to get a more rearset position. How is that working out? Any issues in that position?

Stu
By stinkwheel
I haven't tried it "in anger" yet. I've had a good old bounce on it and nothing moved. I thought it was worth a try. I'm probably going to bolt a set of Sammy Miller style bear-trap pegs to the brackets because there is a definite "angle of dangle" on the standard ones.

I figure if it doesn't work, I can always fabricate a mounting plate but it makes sense to me to use the existing fittings. I've made up a brake lever that fits the standard pivot.

By McMurdo
Impressive! I need to do something with my rear brake as it's way too sharp for loose downhill surfaces. I'll start with re-centering the shoes/cam and see if that softens it a bit. If not I'll need to look at reducing the mechanical leverage that long arm gives.
By stinkwheel
There are long and short brake arms too. Indian Bullets usually come with a short one but it's not unusual to "upgrade" with a longer one for increased braking effect. I've got a long one on my 612 and it is very powerful. Actually makes the brake plate flex slightly.

The "long" one is 5 1/2". Standard one is about 3/4" shorter. Maybe worth checking what you have fitted?
By McMurdo
5 1/2? I hope you mean 15 1/2 ? :)

Mine is 14" from the front of the foot plate to the pivot point so I guess this is the "short" version. Might have to visit my local welding shop for some adjustments.
By Daiwiskers
Hope no one minds
Brake arm on rear hub
Brake lever under foot
Hope this helps Dai

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles