This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By papasmurf
vince wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:42 am
Hi, just curious as to why this gauge is even fitted, its cold at any temp when riding. Vince
When the temperature drops to 5C and below there can be black ice on the road. So an ambient air temperature gauge on a motorcycle that is likely to be used in harsh conditions is not a fashion item.
Jack the Lad wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:06 pm
The claims about moving the sensor can't be right. The gauge reads +10 before you even turn the engine on and it stays just +10 over with a hot engine, so engine heat is not the cause. It's just a glitch in the display software. -10 is easy to do and accurate enough.
You must have a faulty sensor if its already 10 degrees too high when the bike is cold as others who have moved the sensor have reported that its a lot more accurate once away from the engine ? I have just checked mine in the garage with the bike cold and it reads 11 degrees and I also checked my wife's car that is parked next to it and that reads 10 degrees. I am going to move mine when i get the chance and will report back with the results. Its ok having to do mental arithmetic to guess the true reading but thats not really the issue, the issue is its either a design fault or an inferior part.
By RocketRR
Moved mine very easy to do and now more accurate, well much more accurate than that funny flashing thing in the circle on the right that's flashes ho ho all the time.

Is this a Santa locator?
By Andy C
Went out in the garage yesterday, switched the ignition on, gauge reads 9 degrees, which was about right as it was certainly not -1 in the garage, it was actually 9 degrees according to a themometer I have in the garage.

Now this is rather odd as the gauge usually reads 10 degrees to high, so as suggested the sensor is probably affected by the heat from the engine as the engine was cold it was reading the right temp - perhaps.

Weather permitting today I'll take it for a ride and make a note of the temp reading before and post the ride with the bike in the garage

Note that I also have a flashing Santa indicator, to be honest I really dont pay much attention to it as I generally know where I am going !!
By Andy C
Turned the ignition in the garage, temp read 10 degrees which was bang on with the garage thermometer.

Wheeled it outside and left it half an hour, ignition on again, gauge read 9 degrees, which compared favourably with an outside thermometer that I have which was on about 10 degrees.

Took it out for a run and within a mile or so the temp began to rise, and after about 8 miles was varying between 17/19 degrees so can only surmise that heat from the engine causes the temp reading to rise as ambient temp was assumed to be pretty constant.

Stopped for some fuel, reading droped to 16 degrees, once home after an hour the gauge was still reading 15 degrees.

Assumption has to be that heat from the engine is affecting the temp reading and it is not always 10 degrees higher than ambient - for the temp reading to be of any use the sensor needs to be re located - RocketRR where did you move yours to?
By RocketRR
Extended the wire to place the sensor underneath the instrument consul so out of wind blast and away from engine near front of the bike. I cut the wire to keep the connector with the sensor and used standard jap type crimp with waterproof covers.
By Presto
I can’t resist any longer.
Would someone tell me the point of an ambient air temperature gauge, a thermometer, on a motorcycle?
I’d have thought a barometer would be more useful, at least in the UK! ;)
By Andy C
Presto wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:57 am
I can’t resist any longer.
Would someone tell me the point of an ambient air temperature gauge, a thermometer, on a motorcycle?
I’d have thought a barometer would be more useful, at least in the UK! ;)
Perfectly fair comment - my take on this is that as there is one fitted, it would be nice to have it working properly.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles