This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Mattthumper
Hi, When I rebuilt my forks I did something wrong (like some kind of valve reversed?) and the front end feels like there’s no damping at all. Sure enough the disk side blew the seal. Every thing was done with manual spec’s - two shop manuals (one is a Royal Enfield factory manual the other is Pete Snidal’s). But there’s no steps for rebuilding one.
I tried reducing the amount of fork oil. I also tried a real light weight - 5W.
No change. What in the world did I do wrong? Btw, it’s a 2006 Electra X.
tia, Matt
By stinkwheel
The damper rod is the same as an older bullet. It can be totally dismantled. If there is no damping, it may be the washers are not moving freely on the damper rod.

Here's a picture of a stripped one. See the two collars with holes in? The thin steel washer next to them blocks the holes when the oil goes in one direction or the other. If those holes are unblocked because the washer isn't moving on the rod or there is muck under it, the oil will just pass freely from one side to the other with no damping effect.

Not all bikes have the short spring, it just puts a little extra pressure on the valve before it opens, increasing the damping a bit.

Damper rod reassembled:

By stinkwheel
Another thought. You might have the oil control collar on the wrong way round. It's the bit sitting furthest left on the damper rod in my second picture. Taper facing up, step facing down.
By Mattthumper
Stinkwheel,
Thanks a lot.
I’ll compare this information you’ve given me to my own forks - upon removal and disassembly that is!

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles