This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Tomshayes1
Hi my 53 Meteor has acquired a BSA rear wheel at some point over the past 66 years... Now I've managed to pick up an Indian half hub rear wheel but it's from a 350.. Obviously the sprocket size is completely wrong..

My real question is will a 500 sprocket /brake drum from our hosts fit the 350 hub etc and will the brake set up fit .. The 500 sprocket being the correct gearing for the Meteor

REgards

Tom
By Adrian
From our hosts' picture from the on-line parts book it looks an awful lot like the Indian Bullet half width hub drum/sprockets except for the larger diameter brakes and sprocket bit.

Here's our hosts' 500 Bullet/Meteor item:

This is an early Indian Bullet item on ebay.

Looks like the shock absorber rubbers' splines and the bearing section at least are the same, I'm assuming that's an imperial bearing on both.

That help?

A.
By Tomshayes1
I OK so I need to work out what parts I need to carry out the conversion. Drum/sprocket, brake back plate and shoes?

I have a complete 350 set up so I assume brake cams and lever are the same as 500.

REgards

Tom.
By Tomshayes1
The 350 Bullet half width rear hub is part no 36646 whereas the Meteor and 500 Bullet item is PART No. 36675..

Are the two radically different or can I build up a Meteor Rear brake etc using the 350 hub

REgards
. Tom
By Adrian
Again, I don't know if this is enough of a visual comparison for you at least to make an informed guess. SIMILAR isn't necessarily the same as compatible, but I'm hard pressed to tell the difference unless, and this may be down to camera angle, the Indian hub looks a little wider. It might not be!

Our hosts' used Redditch item:

An Indian half-width rear hub.

Another option if you're not too concerned about originality could be to use one of out hosts' three-vane 6" rear brake drums machined for a bolt-on 46T sprocket, part nos. 92629A and 92632 and use the 350 brake assembly. Stopping power not so good, of course.

A.
By stinkwheel
If it's any help (may just be more confusing?)

When I bought a gumtree special indian "bullet", it had quite a few meteor parts fitted. I'm pretty sure this is a meteor swingarm?

In which case, it came fitted with an indian bullet rear wheel and brake (and epic, extra-long meteor brake-arm that can warp the brake plate)

So an indian back-end will fit in a metor swingarm.

I realise this probably doesn't help you fit your rear wheel...
By Tomshayes1
Well I have the complete rear wheel assembly so I can offer it up to see if it fits etc which it should as the swing arm is the same part number... My main concern is the gearing... If I need to replace the brake parts etc that's not an issue as long as the 500/700 drum /sprocket will fit the 350 hub..

Tom
By Adrian
Try a Meteor sprocket/brake drum, be careful not to mark it in case it doesn't fit and you need to return it, but if it does, job done.

As shown in the photo above the the early 350 Indian Bullet and the Meteor both seem to use the same vane arrangement for the shock absorber rubbers, so it looks like it ought to fit fine.

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles