This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Adrian Mellor
Hello, first time poster having problems
I have a 13 plate RE Classic 500, earlier this year coming back from the TT it stopped and I had to recovered, electrics died, when I checked it over a fuse had blown, once replaced it started and ran ok, left it for a while came to start it again using the kickstart and the fuse blew again, then every time i replaced the fuse it blew, I assumed a short circuit, disconnected sidestand switch, rear lights/indicators, clutch switch etc, still the same, left it another month, moved the bike so I could get all around it, replaced fuse and it was ok, started up on button, ran...... all good but I still haven't found the problem. when I turn the ignition on, the fuel pump primes, when i try to kick it over the fuel pump primes again half way down the "kick" I never noticed this before, should it be doing this ( I have been told it will do this at TDC, but it does it every kick) It does start up whilst kicking over but only when i twist the throttle, which I didn't need to do before. very confused Thanks
By Rattlebattle
I believe these bikes have a wasted spark ignition, so the plug sparks once per crankshaft revolution (twice per 4-stroke cycle). There is no camshaft position sensor, the ECU picking up the crankshaft position from the crankshaft position sensor, but not differentiating between the compression (firing) stroke and the exhaust stroke, on which the plug fires harmlessly, like it used to on Honda 50 etc bikes that, like the RE, used flywheel generators for their sparks and charging. This is why the pump primes twice on one complete 4-stroke cycle.
As for the fuse blowing there must have been a short circuit. The fact that it seems to have cleared up of its own accord suggests to me that it was perhaps moisture that has since dried out.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles